My New Acquisition!!!

Well- maybe not that old.... but still- & I know that this isn't the normal fare for SMD, even in the home audio section, but I just wanted to show off my new toy!

I am not totally sure of the age on this thing because it doesn't have a date ANYWHERE on it and there is no info that I can find on the internet to nail it down.

309587_1903438243955_1781721280_1360555_788852184_n.jpg

This was my Grandparents' old stereo (so if you make fun of it, I will shoot you) j/k

It is a JVC Nivico "Perfect Stereo". It has: Record player, Frequency Modulation (FM) radio, Short Wave (SW) radio, Medium Wave (MW) radio, 4-Track Reel-to-Reel (stoopid cool if you ask me- especially when the reels are rolling). It has a 8" woofer and 3.5" tweeter on each side. ....oh- and it runs on Vacuum Tubes. LOTS and LOTS of Vacuum Tubes. :D

299074_1903437883946_1781721280_1360554_965593206_n.jpg

It took a massive amount of cleaning and work just to get it to this shape. It still has a way to go to get it as cherry as I want it, but for now- this will do. It is up and running, fairly clean, and is fully functional now.

378984_1903437763943_1781721280_1360553_1784410129_n.jpg

298425_1903437483936_1781721280_1360551_1254168079_n.jpg

381427_1903437243930_1781721280_1360550_963954167_n.jpg

I don't know if you can tell from the photo, but the 8 is 400 ohm and the 3.5 is 200 ohm. :ehh: Also, they are wired through the basket frame... put the two of those together = shock time if you touch the speakers themselves. :rofl: Amazingly- all the tubes work. I had to do a tremendous amount of clean up and work to get this joker up and running again. ....but, for 40-50 years old, not bad.

It sounds GREAT by the way. Teh TUBES man! They are wonderful. :woot:

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Wow that is old very old. It looks in good conditions for being that old.

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill

Wow that is old very old. It looks in good conditions for being that old.

Yeah, it shined up pretty well. Moisture over the years has done a bit of damage to the wood underneath and to some of the wood veneer on a side piece. Also- a freakin' mouse got in it at some point and chewed up some of the wood from the inside and got a couple of wires. :angry2: I had to fix some wires and shielding here and there....

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

This is nice! Is it missing some fuses in the last pic?

Oh- glad you saw that, I almost forgot. That is pretty freakin' cool: Depending on where you are in the world, this thing could be used regardless of wall socket voltage. All you had to do was to know what voltage the outlet was (110, 220, etc...) and put the correct sized fuse in the right spot. The power supply then takes that power and steps it to whatever it needs. When I saw that I was like HOLY CRAP! lol

400 and 200 ohm haha that's cool. It's nice especially for the age. That must've cost a pretty penny back in the day.

I know right? I will be looking for more literature on this thing, but it seems pretty sparse. I have found other JVC Nivico's, but none just like this one. I do have some papers that were in it, but they are mostly diagrams/schematics. SERIOUSLY. And they are wicked brittle. I need to scan them before they turn to dust.

You wouldn't think it would get loud with those high impedance speakers and such a low wattage, but you would be surprised. It won't shake the glass or anything, but it will get plenty loud. I did find that the Tubes put out 18 watts to each channel. That is true old school Vacuum Tube watts. So- don't think of it like a Car Head Unit 18 watts. It isn't. :D And it sure doesn't sound like it.

As soon as I get some of my old records, I am going to make a video. :drinks:

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

How does dubstep sound on it? :D

:lol:

It does have a 5/180 degree "DIN" input on the back of it that serves as the Reel-to-Reel input into the console.

800px-5pin180dinplug.jpg

So.... here is what is going to happen SOON:

I am going to get or make an adapter that will allow me to turn phono output into DIN input- and I will be able to play whatever I want through it- just using a digital source. hehehe

Won't that anger the Time and Space stereo Gods though? Playing Dubstep on an antique stereo? This thing is supposed to play Glen Miller, Perry Como and Frank Sanatra! I don't want to be responsible for causing the end of the world.... hehehe

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

How does dubstep sound on it? :D

:lol:

It does have a 5/180 degree "DIN" input on the back of it that serves as the Reel-to-Reel input into the console.

800px-5pin180dinplug.jpg

So.... here is what is going to happen SOON:

I am going to get or make an adapter that will allow me to turn phono output into DIN input- and I will be able to play whatever I want through it- just using a digital source. hehehe

Won't that anger the Time and Space stereo Gods though? Playing Dubstep on an antique stereo? This thing is supposed to play Glen Miller, Perry Como and Frank Sanatra! I don't want to be responsible for causing the end of the world.... hehehe

whatever you play on it get vids Haha.

2 polk audio 4x6'skenwood head-unit 220 amp Mechman alt1979 Corvette

2003 corvette z06

alpine radio and the bose system that came stock