Big Problem

1984 Chevy G30 van.

I started the van and my battery gauge was showing WELL over 18 for no apparent reason and i heard a slight humming sound. It started backfiring when i pressed on the gas pedal, the brake lights, turn signals, hazards do not work at all inside or out, also factory set my radio stations. I shut it off and it wouldn't start... I gave it about 30 minutes while waiting for a ride, and it started back up like there was nothing wrong at all, but a couple burnt out lights "or not working from a blown fuse etc" I got the van home and shut it off, then it wouldnt start again, i gave it about 2 minutes and tried it, and it started like nothing was wrong???? The horn, buzzing when key is in, windshield wipers, parking lights all still work.

It happened before a couple times years back but I cant remember what the problem was back then, thinking alternator, voltage regulator, ignition wiring, or possibly the wire going to my starter.

The starter wire was bad and got fixed but if i remember correctly that is what was making it not start last time, but i still dont know why it was showing way above 18 volts.

I will be pulling every fuse tomarrow to see if any were blown before having a shop rewire everything. I hope its just something simple...

Optimus XL-400w amp 2x 10s IMPP 400w 2x something or other in dash 2x 35w radioshack 8" full-range AcDelco factory radio "frankenstein'd from my dead buick" Dodge seats 1984 Chevy G30 full size 1-ton van "Rust Monster" Progress - around 15% primer/patching

Sold the van in 2014, had it about 75% done, never did get the system in it. Bought a 2000 Chevy S10, still using the same amp/subs. Headunit is XO Vision X538. It's 52x4w, has a dvd player, auto flip out 7" touch screen plus alot more and is a single din.

How olds the battery?

about 6 months old but a couple months ago i had it tested and it was only showing 25% charge, but thats been fixed after charging it up and tightning the alternator belt. been showing normal ever since. The alternator has a couple years on it lets say 4

Optimus XL-400w amp 2x 10s IMPP 400w 2x something or other in dash 2x 35w radioshack 8" full-range AcDelco factory radio "frankenstein'd from my dead buick" Dodge seats 1984 Chevy G30 full size 1-ton van "Rust Monster" Progress - around 15% primer/patching

Sold the van in 2014, had it about 75% done, never did get the system in it. Bought a 2000 Chevy S10, still using the same amp/subs. Headunit is XO Vision X538. It's 52x4w, has a dvd player, auto flip out 7" touch screen plus alot more and is a single din.

Took the van down to the shop to have the alternator and battery tested again, even took out the alternator so they could bench test it, they ran the test 5 times and it showed up good each time, but they said there could still be something wrong with it so they gave me a new 1 since the old 1 was still under warrenty. I put that 1 in, and the volts still spiked. Checked over the van pretty well earlier think I figured out what was causing it.

It seems to deal with the 3 wires running from my starter because if I mess with them, I can get the van to start or not, so I'll be replacing those soon as I can, which means tomarrow sometime because it's broke down a couple blocks from home in the middle of town right now.

At least you figured out what it was.

Pioneer deh-8300UB

6- Image Dynamics CSX6.5v2

4-Image Dynamics XS-28 tweeters

4-Sundown Audio sa8v2's

1-Sundown Audio SAX-200.4

1-Sundown Audio SAX-1200d

1-Mechman 270a alternator

1-XS Power D3400 under hood

Second Skin Damplifier Pro Deadener

Kicker & Knukoncept 1/0 wiring

Big 3 upgrade

I hope thats all it was lol, and that i dont have to replace more lights since when it spiked, last time it burnt out 1 interior turn signal light, both tail lights, all hazards and all 4 outside turn signals plus 1 side marker. It spiked a couple more times while I was trying to get it home today, then stalled and didnt wanna start, but didnt wanna end up destroying anything too important so it'll sit till tomarrow.

edit- wierd thing was, all the fuses are fine

Archived