Multiple battery strain on alternator

so any thoughts on the latter part of my post? specifically that in a multiple battery setup, it is optimal for the batteries to be the same

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Concerning one of the original questions:

Try to use only one type of battery. Different types will use different technologies/plates/etc and therefore will have different series resistances and holding voltages.

One type of battery might charge to 12.8V while another charges to 12.5V.

If they are paralleled together then the higher voltage will always feed the lower voltage.

It doesn't sound like much but with the current capacity of batteries, it could really add up.

Batteries are tough so you may not notice it, but why have your batteries always leveling themselves to a common voltage when you can match them from the start.

2nd question:

You can definitely have too many batteries. Current will flow through the path of least resistance so it could source from your alt or your batteries. As mentioned previously, if you draw more current than your alt can handle then it comes from your batteries. If you play for a long time you will drain the batteries and it will be up to your alt to recharge all those batteries. Batteries are a great source of power, for an amount of time. Afterwards they actually turn into loads.

If you play your system hard, it would be a good idea to put a charger on the battery bank at night to top off the batteries rather than forcing your OEM alt to charge them when it needs to power other things.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Man you just confused me because I was always taught that the system pulls from the batteries first and then the alternator charges the batteries.That's why people have such big battery banks.Yeah if you don't have an adequate amount of batteries and a big enough alternator then you will kill your alternator quick.So I guess it all depends on the power your running.Also I saw you said a 5k amp would pull 500amps? Don't think that's correct because that would mean it would pop that 300amp fuse everytime. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone. I checked around and found that most say that an amp will pull about half of what its fuse rating is in amps which is a good way to gauge what size alternator you will need.

Edit: This is for DC98HOE

GREAT explanation

Fuck warning points.

okay, this is starting to come together for me.

so i guess i have one last question that might be a little specific. Would a D3100 under the hood suffice for my build, or possibly a couple of smaller kinetik batts?

opinions or thoughts?

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

A battery bank will act like a buffer. You won't put instant strain on the alt. But if you continually drain your batteries, you'll kill your alt quick.

im confused myself. jus a random example would 4 kinetik 800s on a stock alt and roughly around 3000rms be bad for the alt?

2000 stratus10 SunDown E-10s

Singer 250amp Alt

Xs Power D975Concept c2400All 0 gauge wire10 6 1/2's in Rear Doors

that makes sense. so essentially, make sure to charge the batteries when done. i usually only take short drives as i live in the city. this kind of surfaces another question, at highway/interstate speeds would the batteries charge quicker, thus there is less risk of burning the alternator.

More box builds

I'm with captain stupid.

that makes sense. so essentially, make sure to charge the batteries when done. i usually only take short drives as i live in the city. this kind of surfaces another question, at highway/interstate speeds would the batteries charge quicker, thus there is less risk of burning the alternator.

Short trips help and you won't notice as much but over time the battery bank will deplete.

Yeah, higher rpm's will give you more output from the alt, but if its undersized then it will still get stressed and eventually fail.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Archived