Multiple battery strain on alternator

So I've heard rumors and statement. Stuff like multiple batteries out a strain on stock alternators. Also that when doing a multiple battery setup i hear it's best to have very similar or the same battery.

is there any truth to this?

i'm going to be upgrading my system this summer. zx 2500.1 is the amp. gonna do big 3 all that.

i guess maybe some guidance as to what battery (or batteries) i should get. my stock alt is 170 Amp IIRC. (2001 mercury sable).

any insight?

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

huh.

VM-1

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Hertz HSK 165XL

Arc Audio KS 300.2

Linear Power 1002 Full Mods

Fi Audio Q 10s

Sundown Audio Scv 3000

Big 3

XS Power D5100 Juice Box 20AH

Singer Alternator

Sky High Wire

<p>My Ebay feedback. http://feedback.ebay...tab=AllFeedback

sorry i was on mobile.... let me finish my thought.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

I may be wrong but batteries hold energy to prevent car from running straight on alt witch would strain it. So batteries are there so that you have that extra saved power to prevent it. Therefore more batteries = more reserve power which= less strain...correct me if I'm wrong please

Wrong... alternator works 1st then batterys take up demand if alternator can't meet it.. all alternator company's will tell you to make sure batterys are charged with battery charger periodiclly because low batterys put extra strain on alts and can blow them....

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

I thought the alt was there to maintain batt voltage. So stock alt and multiple batts would put a strain if running a high wattage amp and other accessories. But I'm not 100% either.

SONY XAV-701HD
RF power 400.4 RF power 1000bd

3 Sundown x8's d2
2004 f150 single cab
2 sets of components MB quart 6.5 onx (2 tweets 2 6.5 perdoor)
stock batt up fron
BIG 3

http://www.stevemead...-vid-pg-11-922/

http://www.youtube.c.../TheBigmescan74

If amp is say 5k then it will pull close too 500 amps.. let's say you have a 80a alternator.. you mite get 50a after car electronics. So basiclly you will be running off of battery voltage of 12.6 and will drop quick. Then batterys will strain alternator trying to recharge them. If u drain them a lot.. most work if you watch what your doing but its not ideal

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

think of it this way.

Without battery support, your alt is constantly providing ALL of the electrical demands.

With battery support, your alt + battery(s) are providing the electrical demands.

Now, when you turn your system off (or down) the alt charges your batteries, but this happens as the alt can do it, it isn't "demanded" like an amp "demands" current. If there isn't enough current, the battery simply doesn't charge (or charges slower).

Of course, at some point, you need more alt power to keep up, but until then, a second battery can help smooth things out.

And it is very helpful to your alt to charge your batteries over night every so often.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Man you just confused me because I was always taught that the system pulls from the batteries first and then the alternator charges the batteries.That's why people have such big battery banks.Yeah if you don't have an adequate amount of batteries and a big enough alternator then you will kill your alternator quick.So I guess it all depends on the power your running.Also I saw you said a 5k amp would pull 500amps? Don't think that's correct because that would mean it would pop that 300amp fuse everytime. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone. I checked around and found that most say that an amp will pull about half of what its fuse rating is in amps which is a good way to gauge what size alternator you will need.

Edit: This is for DC98HOE

Vehicle
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche(Co-Co)

DNX9980HD
6 Team Fi 15's(King Edition)
3 DC 9k's
8 Nendo PWX 8's
4 Custom Steg 4" Super Tweeters
1 DC Audio 175.4
1 DC Audio 90.4
Rockford 360.3
3 DC Power 370xp Alts(Externally regulated)
21 D1600's
2 D4800's
All SMD RCA's
AudioTechnix Deadner
Viper Alarm

My YouTube- http://www.youtube.c...NG?feature=mhee
Link to buildlog- http://www.stevemead...4-15s-2-dc-9ks/
Link to UBL- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165059-ublkings-avalanchecoco-new-build-starting8-king-edition-15-team-fis-in-a-wallyes-a-wall/

96576a0.jpg

Banner3_zpsa237d00a.jpg

Will multiple batteries on stock alternator put stress on the alt? Of course, but i know several people who run stock alternators with a big battery bank and they haven't fried their alts yet. If you charge the batteries that helps a lot, it not only takes strain off the alt but keeps your batteries charged up. (I'd charge once a week or so)

If you have a good battery bank and have a good amount of money laying around i'd highly suggest getting a HO alternator though... they help a lot (excessive amperage, mechman, DC, singer etc etc) Hope that helps!

"This next song goes out to everyone within a 5 block radius"

Archived