ok i have a problem with my jeep not starting sometimes. it cranks over and it wont start then i get a check engine light, then ill turn the truck off and try to start it again and it starts but it will idle rough for a few seconds. after that it runs fine

i haven't been able to get the light checked. but the last time it did it i replaced my camshaft sensor and it fixed it, so i'm going to rule that out. what else could it be though,

ive sea foamed it already so i don't think its clogged injectors or anything so any help would be apprciated

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

havent checked them but i dont think thats the problem, besides i dont even see where they are at. it always starts on the second try though

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

So the engine keeps cranking at a good speed? Im just trying to rule out a battery or starter.

Im assuming you have basic tools? Engines need 3 basic things to run. Compression, spark, and fuel.

-Spark is easiest. You can get a 5 dollar spark tester or just take out the plug and touch it to the block to see if it sparks STRONG. It needs to be strong, as in blue. Not orange. Sometimes, something as simple as cleaning off the plugs can temporarily fix the problem.

-If you have spark then check for fuel. Pour some straight gas or starter fluid into the intake. If the car starts and runs for a few seconds then you know its a fuel problem.

-If those two fail then check compression. A a cheap tester can be useful. Or if the plug hole is within reach then press your finger over the hole and have a buddy crank the engine. If the pressure blows your finger off the hole then compression is assumed to be ok.

Edited by blownengine

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

here's what I'm wondering, i was reading that its possible that the fuel pressure regulator could be going out, if it was going out would it cause the engine to run badly or only at start up.

i,ll try to locate the spark plugs and take a look and test them out,

and it cranks just fine, the starter isnt locking up or anything like that and the battery isnt weak.

and i'm pretty sure its not a compression issue because everything sounds fine and its got ample power while running, also i don't have any fuel in the oil or coming out of the exhaust

Then do a spark test and fuel test. How long since any sort of tune up?

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

i have no clue on that. about two weeks ago i ran some sea foam through it, i changed the cam shaft sensor about 3 weeks ago because that was the error code it was showing last time, and it had an oil change and air filter change about 2 months ago.

i have no clue on how old the plugs are so i definitely need to check them.

here's a short video of it running and of starting it

Edited by bass_stalker

Ok get that code checked. Is it only hard to start when cold? When its warm will it always start?

Big 3 with Yellow Top

. it did it when i left at 6 this morning and the engine was cold then. and i'm not sure how cool the engine was when i left school at 11:15 but it did it again then so i would say its mostly when the engine is cold, the temperature today was probably in the 70's

i also noticed it was a power tech i6 4.0, i'm not sure if its a different engine than a regular Cherokee, but it was a government vehicle