Sonic Electronix

Can you ever have to small of a ground?

Title says it all, i was installing my amp and was using anything i could for a ground, just to make sure it was all hooked up correctly. I used a very very very thin wire 18 gauge it looks like. The amp won't turn on. I checked my power and my blue amp wire. It's all set up but the amp won't turn on. I put it in my buddys car that has a much thicker ground and it turns on. Any ideas? Also pretty sure the ground is grounded well. Thanks :)

Check out my build log:

http://www.stevemead...60#entry1958353

Different folks have different strokes.

Title says it all, i was installing my amp and was using anything i could for a ground, just to make sure it was all hooked up correctly. I used a very very very thin wire 18 gauge it looks like. The amp won't turn on. I checked my power and my blue amp wire. It's all set up but the amp won't turn on. I put it in my buddys car that has a much thicker ground and it turns on. Any ideas? Also pretty sure the ground is grounded well. Thanks :)

bigger ground i would think i would never use a smaller wire than power wire for ground but that just me im sure someone has a techinaly explanation :good:

Haha, yeah man planning on getting a bigger one tomorrow. I was just seeing how it would work xD. Im pretty sure it's the ground too, but the question is why won't it work as a ground . :pardon:

Check out my build log:

back in the days like 2000 i had bought a fosgate with 1000 watts rms and tried to power it with the same cable i had for some cheap amps and had it playing but was horrible and we thought fosgate was crap, then when we took it off we noticed that the power and ground was melting bad, couldnt even touch the wire, so yes you need to use the recommended gauge wire per amp if you dont want your car to burn down

Haha, yeah man planning on getting a bigger one tomorrow. I was just seeing how it would work xD. Im pretty sure it's the ground too, but the question is why won't it work as a ground . :pardon:

i assume it has something to do with it not having correct powerflow bc its not fully grounded but i have no idea on the technical of it just my assumption and you know what they say about assuming lmao

back in the days like 2000 i had bought a fosgate with 1000 watts rms and tried to power it with the same cable i had for some cheap amps and had it playing but was horrible and we thought fosgate was crap, then when we took it off we noticed that the power and ground was melting bad, couldnt even touch the wire, so yes you need to use the recommended gauge wire per amp if you dont want your car to burn down

Lol, yes i understand that have had it happen to me as well. Im just wanting the amp to turn on.

Check out my build log:

i assume it has something to do with it not having correct powerflow bc its not fully grounded but i have no idea on the technical of it just my assumption and you know what they say about assuming lmao

Haha my thoughts exactly, imma try to hook up more than one of them i think :P

Check out my build log:

Haha my thoughts exactly, imma try to hook up more than one of them i think :P

im sure if you had enough it would work but i wouldn't suggest it