Very long AMD "RANT" PLEASE READ!!!

Lets also not forget that just because you dont make a "high" end CPU doesnt mean you cant drop unlocked versions that overclock like mad and are fun :)

Dude really? Big deal. I've unlocked dual cores into triples and quads, but just like anything AMD currently offers Whats the use of OC'in a PII CPU to 4.0+GHZ when you need 1.5+v and power consumption goes thru the roof? These CPU's are just current leaking hogs. Tmax of 62c.... SOI process STILL, REALLY????? Like I said 34253456 times in this thread, its not about just gaming, its not about OC'in, its about false advertisement and lack of performance in the "uber" highend spectrum... PERIOD! This whole AMD Black edition BS is all just marketing BS, wow you got a CPU that has unlocked multi's... BIG DEAL. YOu do understand that by increasing NB frequency and HTT bus is when AMD CPU's really start to make a nice difference in games/benchmarks..... You know that right? Just raising CPU multi, but leaving everything else @ its stock speeds (I.E HTT 2ghz, NB 2ghz, etc...) just leaves yourself open for a larger bottleneck. I've always preferred to "DROP" the multi, and raise HTT as high as possible along with ram speeds and timings ;) and guess what, you can do that to any AMD CPU ... ;)

Again, trying to stay on topic, And I want to make this clear...... AMD cpus of course have a nice little warm spot in the market, but it's to bad Intel will have no comp in the upper segment.... really f*cking sux

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

LOL saw the overclocking post last night at like 3 AM but decided not to get into it. You bit on it hard though.

The fun part of overclocking was thew fact that chips WEREN'T unlocked. You could go get a CPU half the price of an unlocked one and through tweaking get it to have the same if not more performance. The creation of unlocked chips was a major marketing move, although it did allow for overclocking with a generally lower risk of overvolting/frying the CPU/damaging other components.

With the introduction of the Sandy Bridge platform it looks like old school overclocking will be dying out, at least on Intel's side. Non-unlocked parts can't be overclocked more than 400mHz (processor at 3.0 can only be OC'd to a max of 3.4). And overclocking has been reduced to a kindergardener's level. Buy an unlocked chip, press + on the CPU multiplier in the BIOS, let the motherboard set the voltage, done. Of course manual tweaking is still more accurate and yields higher clocks but for someone looking to say their machine is "overclocked" it's a joke. And I actually think that AMD will be coming that way. Manufacturers can still limit the multiplier. Sandy Bridge unlocked chips have a maximum multiplier of 57 and a soft-locked base clock, meaning 5.7gHz is just about as high as you'll get. This sort of soft-locking allows manufacturers to tout "unlocked" but still keep those chips within design spec on power. Less torched chips means less RMA's from dumb people and more money in their pocket.

Analogy: If subwoofer companies could build in a circuit that limited the maximum amount of power put on the woofer. You could still feed the sub "dirty" power and kill it (just like a CPU) but way less warranty recones would be made from people simply not knowing what they were doing.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

maxim, you see now the SB'E' CPU's now can finally scale BCLK again.. Seems to be in the 130 range give or take. SB prior was very limited. The most I could get was (IIRC) 105.4 then my NIC would drop out ;) So even without buying a "K" CPU for SBe, you can still get a somewhat "OK" OC......

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

maxim, you see now the SB'E' CPU's now can finally scale BCLK again.. Seems to be in the 130 range give or take. SB prior was very limited. The most I could get was (IIRC) 105.4 then my NIC would drop out ;) So even without buying a "K" CPU for SBe, you can still get a somewhat "OK" OC......

Ooooooh! Did not see that. Yeah I only played with mine to around ~104 before it wasn't too stable. Brought it back down to 100 though when I brought the multiplier from 50 to 45. Didn't like 1.4+ volts daily

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

Lets also not forget that just because you dont make a "high" end CPU doesnt mean you cant drop unlocked versions that overclock like mad and are fun :)

Dude really? Big deal. I've unlocked dual cores into triples and quads, but just like anything AMD currently offers Whats the use of OC'in a PII CPU to 4.0+GHZ when you need 1.5+v and power consumption goes thru the roof? These CPU's are just current leaking hogs. Tmax of 62c.... SOI process STILL, REALLY????? Like I said 34253456 times in this thread, its not about just gaming, its not about OC'in, its about false advertisement and lack of performance in the "uber" highend spectrum... PERIOD! This whole AMD Black edition BS is all just marketing BS, wow you got a CPU that has unlocked multi's... BIG DEAL. YOu do understand that by increasing NB frequency and HTT bus is when AMD CPU's really start to make a nice difference in games/benchmarks..... You know that right? Just raising CPU multi, but leaving everything else @ its stock speeds (I.E HTT 2ghz, NB 2ghz, etc...) just leaves yourself open for a larger bottleneck. I've always preferred to "DROP" the multi, and raise HTT as high as possible along with ram speeds and timings ;) and guess what, you can do that to any AMD CPU ... ;)

Again, trying to stay on topic, And I want to make this clear...... AMD cpus of course have a nice little warm spot in the market, but it's to bad Intel will have no comp in the upper segment.... really f*cking sux

If you are that concerned about power consumption you're not aiming high enough lol :)

oh wait, this isnt XS.. hmm.. :P

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

i feel bad for amd i feel like they are falling apart! they should of just stay regular amd not amd/ati. even ati seeing the effect too against nvidia xD

I actually thing buying ATI was the best move they could make. Helped them create their APU's, which are a strong move to take on most of the mainstream market. CPU and GPU on the same chip and fast enough to play Portal and other mainstream games. Quite a powerful little piece of hardware.

wtf is lolcats?

Archived