Need help building a pc

Different motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157251

Nice features. Still full ATX, 2x USB 3.0 on back panel, 4 RAM DIMMs. And a Z68 chipset. It brings the shipped total up around $815, however. If you want to get back down around $800, swap out the Crucial m4 64GB SSD for Intel's 40GB 320 series.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167044

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Just so you know, the motherboard is running Intel's Z68 chipset, which allows for "SSD Caching", which is a great alternative to using the SSD as a "boot drive" if it's a smaller one like the 40GB drive.

Basically you install everything like normal on the hard drive and ignore the SSD. Then, as you use the system, the motherboard actively determines what files you use most and stores them on the SSD. Windows files, web browser, Minecraft data, BitTorrent/uTorrent/whatever client you use. All those files that are used most often get dropped onto the SSD and get the added speed benefits. It's an easy way to give your commonly used applications and data the speed benefits of a solid state without needing a big solid state drive. If the machine is going to be left on for hours/days at a time (sounds like it will be running 24/7) then an SSD "boot drive" does you almost no good.

You can always install however you want, but the caching feature will get you the most benefit out of the drive

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

Just so you know, the motherboard is running Intel's Z68 chipset, which allows for "SSD Caching", which is a great alternative to using the SSD as a "boot drive" if it's a smaller one like the 40GB drive.

Basically you install everything like normal on the hard drive and ignore the SSD. Then, as you use the system, the motherboard actively determines what files you use most and stores them on the SSD. Windows files, web browser, Minecraft data, BitTorrent/uTorrent/whatever client you use. All those files that are used most often get dropped onto the SSD and get the added speed benefits. It's an easy way to give your commonly used applications and data the speed benefits of a solid state without needing a big solid state drive. If the machine is going to be left on for hours/days at a time (sounds like it will be running 24/7) then an SSD "boot drive" does you almost no good.

You can always install however you want, but the caching feature will get you the most benefit out of the drive

Ohh thanks for that! That sounds great. Thanks for all your help dude.

If the machine is going to be left on for hours/days at a time (sounds like it will be running 24/7) then an SSD "boot drive" does you almost no good.

I hadn't really thought about that either... Yeah, it would probably only be turned off once a week to run a week;y update, virus scan, and all that good shit.

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

I honestly would just go with AMD in this case and save yourself some money. You are not doing anything too intensive.

A setup with a A8-3850 would suffice imo. You can then eliminate the need for a dedicated video card, since it comes with a good IGP. Just get a board with a good vrm setup, especially if you are going to run it 24/7 as a server.

777319156.png

I honestly would just go with AMD in this case and save yourself some money. You are not doing anything too intensive.

A setup with a A8-3850 would suffice imo. You can then eliminate the need for a dedicated video card, since it comes with a good IGP. Just get a board with a good vrm setup, especially if you are going to run it 24/7 as a server.

For what he's doing on it he doesn't need anything more than Intel's IGP. He could go with the i3-2100 and still be more than fine. Only reason I picked the i5 for him was cause he asked for it.

I'd still personally recommend the i5 however. It's a quad-core just as the A8 is, however Sandy Bridge is untouchable at this point. You have so many options of future upgrades with the 2500K or i7's. If you do fire up 3 or 4 things at once you won't be bottlenecked. You can always save the ~$72 and use the HD graphics on the Intel chip. The motherboard has a built-in HDMI port. But if you do feel the need to fire up a game or anything of the sort, the i5's gonna be the most bang for your buck.

wtf is lolcats?

Well I figured that since he is on a budget and wanted "mid-range" gpu performance.. the A8 does both pretty well for ~$140. But if you plan on using it for more than that.. it might be better to go with a sandy bridge solution then. You can also bottleneck a sb/sb-e... depends on what you are doing. just sayin :)

777319156.png

Well I figured that since he is on a budget and wanted "mid-range" gpu performance.. the A8 does both pretty well for ~$140. But if you plan on using it for more than that.. it might be better to go with a sandy bridge solution then. You can also bottleneck a sb/sb-e... depends on what you are doing. just sayin :)

Just curious, How will he bottleneck an i5-2300 with what he's doing with it? Nothing graphics heavy going on. Are you saying that the Sandy Bridge chip will be the bottleneck or that other components will bottleneck the CPU. There's no issue with his RAM, hard drive, or network connection being the bottleneck. I don't see how the processor itself would become the bottleneck though, especially based on how it trumps the A8 in nearly every CPU-based benchmark in existence.

wtf is lolcats?

Just curious, How will he bottleneck an i5-2300 with what he's doing with it? Nothing graphics heavy going on. Are you saying that the Sandy Bridge chip will be the bottleneck or that other components will bottleneck the CPU. There's no issue with his RAM, hard drive, or network connection being the bottleneck. I don't see how the processor itself would become the bottleneck though, especially based on how it trumps the A8 in nearly every CPU-based benchmark in existence.

I guess you missed my point. I was pretty much agreeing with you. If he's going to use those applications on a regular basis.. the A8 will suffice. If he intends on doing that and more.. then a i5/i7 will be a better choice. All I was saying it's also possible to bottleneck sb/sb-e.. just depends on what applications you are running on a regular basis and how many instances of them. In that case it's time to step away from a consumer processor and switch to a true server setup. You can overload anything if you really wanted and inhibit the performance of the whole system. Granted it's much more difficult on SB/SB-E for an average user.

The A8 also features GPU acceleration.. so the overall performance of the AMD solution will be much greater whenever that field really takes off for consumer applications and not just folding/crunching.

Anyways not trying to argue.. just giving the OP another option that would be much cheaper overall and enough for his needs.

777319156.png

Archived