Sonic Electronix

Ok I'm in a bit of a pickle here. It seems like if there's not one problem with my truck, there's another. I just got my package from knukonceptz.com today containing my 12 feet of 4 ga KCA Kable, GM battery terminal, and gold ring terminals. I made the mistake of not getting enough wire or measuring first how much I would need, so I didn't have enough to get from my battery safely and securely into the steering shaft grommet on the firewall, and into my amp without being short, so I went to the next source of +12V power. I connected my power wire to the fuse box using the same terminal as the wiring that comes directly off of the battery. I have had to do this more than a few times for friend's cars who didn't purchase enough wire and it worked just as good as using the positive post of the battery.

After doing so, I took a reading from my DMM and put the ground on a bare-metal area of my chassis, then put the positive lead on the end of the wire after I installed my fuse block. It read 12.4 DCV, but when I plugged it into my amp and with the ignition on and off, it read 0.3 DCV? I checked my remote wire, it was reading 11.3 DCV when switched. I also thoroughly inspected the guts of my amp to make sure nothing was disconnected or burned, and didn't find anything unusual. I also took my test light to the negative terminal of the amp with power and ground installed, and the light lit up for a second then dimmed out in a quick manner.

There are two outcomes I'm thinking about this:

1) My inline fuse is 80A, and the total amperes of my amplifier equals 50A (2x 25A). Could the inline fuse be too big?

2) My ground wire is too small. It's the crappy old American Legacy "4 ga OFC" my friend bought for me. Knukonceptz 4 ga wire is actually about 10% larger than that of standard 4 ga due to it's CCA construction to compensate for OFC 4 ga load capacity) Comparing the two brands of 4 ga wire, the American Legacy looks more like 10 ga wire. Could this be a problem? Thanks guys, here's some pics

I love getting new stuff in the mail :santa:

007gx.jpg

Knukonceptz.com 4ga KCA Kable :woot:

008qns.jpg

The wire on the left is American Legacy "4ga OFC". It is the same strand count as the ground wire that is currently in my truck. And on the right, of course, is the KCA Kable

011nat.jpg

And finally, here's the gutz of my amp. Nothing looked burned or disconnected when I looked at it prior to purchase (got in on Craigslist). It is only temporary though.

013vtt.jpg

If you think you have a solution, please let me hear it. I'm really excited to finally have a system again after going through a painful, treble-filled year after I sold my Rockford HX2 / Kicker ZX500.1

2001 Toyota Corolla CE:

4x Crescendo PWX6.5's

2x Crescendo FT1-SE's

1x DC Audio lvl 2 M1 8 (looking for more)

Slot port box 0.7ft^3 @ 31.77hz

Rockford Fosgate R750.1

1/0 Knu wiring all around

Looking for XS Power D1200

you really souldnt tap in to the factor input to the fuse box by doin so u will rob power from your car to power the amp or the amp will rob ur cars computers of power causein major issues with e the pcm and fuel injection system...i have seen guys ruin there cars by doin this...i would get the rest of the wire and use a in line fuse or distbtoin block and add the wire you need to hit the positive post on the batt ...i think ur main issues is where you have ur power lead to the amp myself...i could be wrong

1995 Honda passport 3.2 4x4 Frankenstein on a budget

ballistics sound deader (roof only so far)

kenwood mp3 usb

audio control 3 (upgrading)

hifonics mx-3

3 sets of massive px5 5.25s

3 sets of massive tweets

phonix gold 5.25 componets

x2 massive nx4 nano 200x4 mids

sony xplod 600x4 watt high's

2 Fi bl fully loaded box walled @31ish hz

13.2 cube box/wall

massive DB8000

Excessive amaperge 250 amp alt wir extrnl regulator

daul runs of xs power xpflex 0 gauge

big 3

raptor 0 gauge power/ground wire full run

suriken 45 amp hour x3 shriken bt-120 batts,interstate 1100CA semi batt

scytek galaxy 2way alarm

still upgradeing!

Thanks for the replies, I am going to either order more KCA Kable or just go to my local shop and get real 4 ga wire. And I could understand the computer issues, but one of my friends has his hooked up to the fuse box as well and has had it that way for about 3 years now with no problems

2001 Toyota Corolla CE:

4x Crescendo PWX6.5's

2x Crescendo FT1-SE's

Rockford Fosgate R750.1

Your ground should be the same size as your power. Make sure you can get your power straight from the battery as soon as possible. It's not very efficient coming from the fuse box. It's kinda like running 8awg half way to the amp and then connecting 4awg to the 8awg to make the rest of the run, if that makes any sense.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

Rebel, I'm realize knu wiring isn't real, but they do make very good wire by trying to balance it and make it comparable to OFC wiring by utilizing a thinner, tougher jacket, and a higher strand

count. Of course though, anything is better than what I had! XD

2001 Toyota Corolla CE:

4x Crescendo PWX6.5's

2x Crescendo FT1-SE's

Rockford Fosgate R750.1

Rebel, I'm realize knu wiring isn't real, but they do make very good wire by trying to balance it and make it comparable to OFC wiring by utilizing a thinner, tougher jacket, and a higher strand

count. Of course though, anything is better than what I had! XD

He was saying that it is "real", what do you mean by "real"?

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

Your ground should be the same size as your power. Make sure you can get your power straight from the battery as soon as possible. It's not very

efficient coming from the fuse box. It's kinda like running 8awg

half way to the amp and then

connecting 4awg to the 8awg

to make the rest of the run, if

that makes any sense.

Kinda, but not really lol from what extremeauto said, it could cause some computer problems in the future which I really don't need. If that's true, it will only be temporary till I get a 4ga line connector and some added KCA Kable

2001 Toyota Corolla CE:

4x Crescendo PWX6.5's

2x Crescendo FT1-SE's

Rockford Fosgate R750.1