Sundown Audio

Old Skool Memphis amp repair question?

Lucky4Designs

A friend of mine dropped off this amp at my house today. It's a Memphis 16-MC1000D, 2-channel 1 ohm stable. He said it powers up just fine and ran the living hell out of two 12" RF P2's but when he pulled it to replace the amp that is in his car now, he has power, but no sound? From the looks of the gutz, it looks like it means business. I told him I'm not much of an amplifier repair guy, I build boxes and re-cone subs more than anything else. So, I'm here to ask for your guys' input on what may cause this problem? I carefully opened the case to check for any burns or broken connections, but I couldn't really find anything. I did notice a slight burnt smell though. Here's some pics I just now took... Enjoy! :popcorn:

005wvt.jpg

007zr.jpg

001tjw.jpg

002brg.jpg

003her.jpg

004alm.jpg

Also, how hard would it be to replace the part(s) to make it work? I would love to gain some knowledge on how exactly an amplifier works and such. It's something I've been meaning to study up on, but never really understood it.

2001 Toyota Corolla CE:

4x Crescendo PWX6.5's

2x Crescendo FT1-SE's

1x DC Audio lvl 2 M1 8 (looking for more)

Slot port box 0.7ft^3 @ 31.77hz

Rockford Fosgate R750.1

1/0 Knu wiring all around

Looking for XS Power D1200

amp repair is a hassle. best off not messing with it and send it out, before something gets messed up more and it costs more to repair.

You really need to test a lot of resistors, mosfets, and know what they should read when they are good. Just because something dont look blown dont mean it is, it could be something your not able to physically see with the mosfet hold downs bars screwed on, or something like a gate resistor, but normally that would cause the amp to go into protect.

I would assume its something with the drive board.

Id assume you already checked them fuses on the inside, lol

Im pretty sure my buddy always used amp medics for all his memphis amps. http://www.ampmedics.net/

Awesome, thanks for the advice! I'll read up on gate resistors, mosfets, and other stuff about amps. Like I said above, I'm not an amp guy lol

2001 Toyota Corolla CE:

4x Crescendo PWX6.5's

2x Crescendo FT1-SE's

Rockford Fosgate R750.1

Awesome, thanks for the advice! I'll read up on gate resistors, mosfets, and other stuff about amps. Like I said above, I'm not an amp guy lol

2001 Toyota Corolla CE:

4x Crescendo PWX6.5's

2x Crescendo FT1-SE's

Rockford Fosgate R750.1