SSD Hard Drive not reading

i recently bought a SSD drive from crucial and i finally got it in. i installed it on my unibody aluminum macbook (not macbook bro). i go to install OSX Lion, Legit copy downloaded from Apple App Store, and when it comes down to installing it on a drive, the installation process saids theres no available drives. does anyone know what would be up? or if its just a bad drive? or am i too stupid to figure it out?

thanks

brett

you win some, you lose some

You may have to intialize the drive. Drives usually come without any sort of partitions on them. You'll need to have Mac format it and create a partition so that you can write to it.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

There's a few ways to do it. You can get an Opti-Drive (link) to replace your CD/DVD drive and give you a slot for a 2nd internal hard drive. Or you can get some sort of external hard drive dock (link) and plug the SSD into that to do the initial format. Or you can get a external laptop drive enclosure (link) and use that. Or you can go to Best Buy and grab one of these cables (link) and use that.

Essentially, you need the computer booted and the SSD plugged in somehow, probably externally. Then you'll format the SSD as HSF+ (Mac extended/journaled or whatever it calls it). This will make an initial blank partition. Once this is done you can shut it down, swap the drives out, and install as normal.

EDIT: Make sure you format the SSD! Don't format your laptop's old drive. That will cause some issues

Edited by Maxim

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

ah i think i understand... will this work... my harddrive is a SATA drive

Yes and no? I can't see the other side of it but it looks like it just gives you half the SATA connection. From what's in the picture it goes from USB to a SATA data connection. There's no power cable/connection in the photo. The reviews say it had a molex (4-pin) to SATA power cable included, so I'd assume there's a connector for power built into the side of the device we can't see.

I'd say swing by Best Buy and grab one of these. You won't even need the CD that comes with it, just the cable. Assuming your store has it in stock, you can pick it up today and not have to wait/pay extra for shipping.

wtf is lolcats?

Well shit then that goes out the window. :lol:

Grab the one off Amazon then. The reviews seem to say it works and has a power adapter. And even if it sucks and dies you only need it working for literally 30 seconds.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd get something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NexStar-2-5-Inch-External-Enclosure/dp/B002JQNXZC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324661292&sr=1-1

Use it to format the SSD and then once formatted put the SSD in the computer and use the old hard drive in the case for a external drive.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff