Why Aren't SMD Subs Used In Concerts?

Why did you start the same topic in 2 different section?

I started it in the wrong category, then I couldn't work out how to delete it.

Yeah you can't delete it maybe a MOD could.Well let me say welcome to the forum if nobody else has told you yet and hopefully we see more post from you.So are you trying to run an SMD in a concert setup?

No but I was just wondering why concerts don't use something like the SMD subwoofer? What I'm getting so far is that they aren't entirely efficient.

Yes, and most concerts don't need to play 'low low' like we do, so using a sub designed to do that well would be kind of a waste. Plus they are super heavy and I don't believe that it's size would lend itself for use in something like a folded horn style enclosure

+1 on that, and by the way to the OP: subs can't be powerful since they don't produce power, they just simply absorb power from the amplifiers give them.

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 v6

2 sundown audio prototype nsv4 15s

crossfire 4k wired to 0.4 ohm

15 banks of maxwell 3.0 caps @ 18v

triple alts (x2 us alt 250's, x1 singer 320)

153 at 23hz

Skittles got it. A pro audio driver is meant for a wider bandwidth higher efficiency say-98-102+ db with very low inductance and still take 1000-3000 watts each all day. There is half a century+ in the design difference between a large open area woofer vs a smaller enclosed area woofer-car/house. And then the cabinet design which is usually horn or folded horn which are larger boxes that play higher frequencies louder- 50 hz on up for a 18" also the box designs are optimized for projecting sound away

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

• 1 month later...

Archived