Why Aren't SMD Subs Used In Concerts?

I've been thinking SMD Subwoofers are just so powerful I don't understand why they aren't used in concerts? I mean concerts mostly use dual 18" woofers which are usually rated around 600 Watts RMS. But in a large setup they could be like 50 of them which is about 30, 000 Watts.

With just 10 SMD Subs you get 35, 000. So with so much less equipment I thought It would make more sense. I thought the reason might be that more subs working with less power sounds better but I wanted to get another opinion.

I also wanted to consider impedance. I'm not actually sure what the SMD's are at but I've heard 0.5 Ohms which could be difficult but do-able to connect to Power Amplifiers.

I'm sure perhaps even a 4 Ohm model could be made though.

(Old Car) 1995 Volkswagon Golf MK3 2.0L:

Fi SP4 18 On A DC Audio 3.5K In A PWK Box

Hertz DSK 6" Speakers, Clarion HU

3x Fullriver 120aH AGM's, 225A Alt

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

Bit One, Rockford Amps, Audison Sub

Smd come in dual 1 and 2 ohm. They also use full range equipment. Having that many subs (at that weight) would really be overkill since many concerts dont even play in the range that the smds would really appreciate. They would spend 2x as much paying for components to balance the output of the smds imo

Everythings in the attic or garage since the truck was sold last year. New build should be coming soon in a dodge cummins smile.gif

Why did you start the same topic in 2 different section?

Vehicle
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche(Co-Co)

DNX9980HD
6 Team Fi 15's(King Edition)
3 DC 9k's
8 Nendo PWX 8's
4 Custom Steg 4" Super Tweeters
1 DC Audio 175.4
1 DC Audio 90.4
Rockford 360.3
3 DC Power 370xp Alts(Externally regulated)
21 D1600's
2 D4800's
All SMD RCA's
AudioTechnix Deadner
Viper Alarm

My YouTube- http://www.youtube.c...NG?feature=mhee
Link to buildlog- http://www.stevemead...4-15s-2-dc-9ks/
Link to UBL- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165059-ublkings-avalanchecoco-new-build-starting8-king-edition-15-team-fis-in-a-wallyes-a-wall/

96576a0.jpg

Banner3_zpsa237d00a.jpg

I started it in the wrong category, then I couldn't work out how to delete it.

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

Yeah you can't delete it maybe a MOD could.Well let me say welcome to the forum if nobody else has told you yet and hopefully we see more post from you.So are you trying to run an SMD in a concert setup?

Vehicle
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche(Co-Co)

DNX9980HD
6 Team Fi 15's(King Edition)
3 DC 9k's
8 Nendo PWX 8's
4 Custom Steg 4" Super Tweeters
1 DC Audio 175.4
1 DC Audio 90.4
Rockford 360.3
3 DC Power 370xp Alts(Externally regulated)
21 D1600's
2 D4800's
All SMD RCA's
AudioTechnix Deadner
Viper Alarm

My YouTube- http://www.youtube.c...NG?feature=mhee
Link to buildlog- http://www.stevemead...4-15s-2-dc-9ks/
Link to UBL- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165059-ublkings-avalanchecoco-new-build-starting8-king-edition-15-team-fis-in-a-wallyes-a-wall/

96576a0.jpg

Banner3_zpsa237d00a.jpg

Yeah you can't delete it maybe a MOD could.Well let me say welcome to the forum if nobody else has told you yet and hopefully we see more post from you.So are you trying to run an SMD in a concert setup?

No but I was just wondering why concerts don't use something like the SMD subwoofer? What I'm getting so far is that they aren't entirely efficient.

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

No but I was just wondering why concerts don't use something like the SMD subwoofer? What I'm getting so far is that they aren't entirely efficient.

Yes, and most concerts don't need to play 'low low' like we do, so using a sub designed to do that well would be kind of a waste. Plus they are super heavy and I don't believe that it's size would lend itself for use in something like a folded horn style enclosure

Better options for that environment, especially options that don't include building everything.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

SMD's have a 4 inch coil iirc. means they can handle a lot of power, but take a lot of power to get loud.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

completely different applications. the speakers they use are PA speakers and have a much larger bandwidth. then you have the efficiency part where another sub might be able to get twice as loud on the same amount of power.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Archived