Kenwood Deck (excelon kdc x395)?

the factory pre amp on it SOUNDS (not tested with an oscope or dd-1) like it clips at about 32/35.

it has 4v preouts, going through the ipod playlist/songs/etc is really easy and nice.

it has a nice EQ on itself imo, sub, bass, mid, high.

the cons are:

in sunlight, the screen can not be seen at all. 100% of it is bright purple.

the ipod cord comes out the front instead of the rear for a stealth install, and the addon for the rear install doesnt charge your ipod.

the remote is very... sensitive on the volume, and if it loses connection with the deck while you hold down a button, the button stays going until it re connects.. (i was turning the volume up as i was taking a turn and it got stuck sending the volume up button.. and this deck goes from 0-max volume in about 2 seconds, so i pretty much shit myself.)

for voltage testing and extensive ipod testing, i took a battery i had in the house and ran it to the deck, the ipod loses connection at about 10.5 volts and WILL NOT reconnect unless you turn the deck off then on, or select tuner/cd/aux then ipod again.

the deck restarts at 10 volts (you retain your settings though).

overall though the deck is bad ass for $109, comes with a remote, 4v preouts sub on/sub off option and the best feature.. i dont have alt whine in my subs or doors..

any more questions just ask me

What do you know about the higer model's like the 400's and 989

Yo dog i heard you like boxes. so i put a box inside a box so you can bass while you FAIL

unfortunately i havent owned a higher up model.. but the only difference i can see is blutooth capable and phone capable.

it still uses the same firmware and hardware. just instead of the ipod button on the x395, it functions as a phone/ipod on the higher up models.

i believe on the 9xx model it uses a different firmware, but the 3 and the 4 are in the same firmware category.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

I would recommend it to anyone. I have the x494 and it has some cool visual settings. For my iPod it will read and can search albums, songs, playlists, etc. and if you just want to control music from your iPod you can just switch settings. But yeah I would get another one if I ever decided to upgrade I'd stick with an excelon.

tl;dr get one there badass for the price.

Archived