Sonic Electronix

What amp rating do I need? (alternator)

I don't know how accurate online calculators are, and would much rather hear some answers from you guys.

I have a new head unit coming in this Thursday, It will allow me to put all front and rear audio on amps. Two amps are Rockford 200w, 400w, Then I have a 1500Onyx for my sub. I Just built a box for a 12 that will play 150hz-250hz The amp is 150w @4ohm. Lastly, I'm (likely) adding a 600w amp for my four 6x9s (wired to 2-ohm). I will eventually be getting Brutus-BRZ2400. My factor alternator was 80amps, so I assume that is about the total electrical use of non-stereo equipment. I currently have 120amp, which is the biggest AutoZone carries for my vehicle. I do not plan on upgrading any more after this. If I do, I'll repost here ;).

Thanks!

There is no such thing as too big. But looking at what you have and are getting, a ~250 amp with a good pair of agm batteries should be a good setup IMO.

Current Set-Up

2004 Chevy Tahoe

Subs: 2 DC XL 15's

Box: 8.5 ft^3 @ 38hz

Amp: Amrican Bass VFL 500.1

Alt: Db Electric 250amp

Batts: 2 Kinetic HC 1200s

Radio: Pioneer 3300UB

Doors: Pyle Pro Mids/Goldwood Tweets

Amp: Alpine MRP-300/Hifonics ZX80.4

Wire: Kicker 1/0 Guage

Termlab: 153.1 Outlaw Style @ 46HZ

Why did u tune so high on the box???

Do you mean the 12"? If so, I didn't have anything playing 150hz-250hz effectively. Plus I had an extra 12. Rest assured, my 15 is playing 100hz and a lower. I'll cap that off at 80hz when I get it just right. I've been tweeking, and tweeking. I'm getting close though ;).

There is no such thing as too big. But looking at what you have and are getting, a ~250 amp with a good pair of agm batteries should be a good setup IMO.

Really? I was sweating bullets, that is the best news I have heard all day. I was thinking I would "need" much higher.

If I win the lotto, I'm remembering you!

But in all seriousness, that is great news. I was thinking I would gonna have to drop some serious money!

If I win the lotto, I'm remembering you!

I will hold you too that! :woot:

Current Set-Up

2004 Chevy Tahoe

Subs: 2 DC XL 15's

Box: 8.5 ft^3 @ 38hz

Amp: Amrican Bass VFL 500.1

Alt: Db Electric 250amp

Batts: 2 Kinetic HC 1200s

Radio: Pioneer 3300UB

Doors: Pyle Pro Mids/Goldwood Tweets

Amp: Alpine MRP-300/Hifonics ZX80.4

Wire: Kicker 1/0 Guage