Sonic Electronix

And why the hell would you use a breaker the size of that, that seems to be for AC? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, I think he knows more about commercial electricity than mobile.

....... What is a breaker for? What makes a fuse break? What makes a breaker trip? - things you guys need to learn.

I said 30ft just because I knew it would be long enough to cover just about anything. You don't have to worry much about voltage loss over the length of a cable in the mobile environment because the lengths are his unit typically long enough. I'm not sure why he thinks you get 15% voltage drop from 1/0 gauge wire and plenty of people use 1/0 cable without that much drop.

This is not accurate.

You guys need to read what I say. I didn't start this thread to be FLAMED, or to be the teacher for this forum.

15% drop WILL happen if you pull 300 amps of current over 30' of 1/0, and I used '15%' '30 feet' and '300 amps' specifically because they were given to me earlier in the thread.

I just stumbled across this, and my guess of 15% was DEAD NUTS!

voltagedrop.jpg

From -

http://www.nooutage.com/vdrop.htm

Why do you guys have less than 14v on a burp? This is why. If you think a battery's voltage doesn't drop when you pull 300 amps......

Here's an app for you.

http://www.blackcatsystems.com/iphone/wire_calc.html

Tuani Fabrication

Wasilla, AK

Thing you need to reread about my post is I said why would you use a AC breaker in a DC application. That's what I said. No car or truck is going to have 30FT run of cable. So your argument is invalid.

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

i dont even see it being any better as far as being cost effective.

with your $50 per foot, i could get 13 runs of 0 gauge. even if you only rely on it for 150 amps each run, thats still 2000 amps carrying capacity. i dont know of too many people with more than 2000 amps from their alternators. therefore, the 13 runs would be much easier to run, more flexible, and no made to order/custom stuff needed. that, and most people dont need 13 runs of 0 gauge, so therefore its just cheaper to buy a few or however many runs of 0 gauge. sure the wire has a wow factor, but not practical, efficient, or cost effective in car audio.

I never said 50', and I wasn't talking about the price of the wire vs. the price of runs of 1/0. I'm talking about the blocks, lugs, fuseholders, etc. for multiple runs, and remeber I have to replace the ghetto 'car audio brands' of connectors and whatnot every couple years......

The lug I pulled up was a quick example - of course there are companies that have them in stock, they're just hard to find.

Flexible - this is nice, but depends on the car. On my old Ford it would not have been difficult to run massive cable. On my Honda, it would truly be impossible. 1/0 'car audio cable' was tough enough.

Tuani Fabrication

Wasilla, AK

Thing you need to reread about my post is I said why would you use a AC breaker in a DC application. That's what I said. No car or truck is going to have 30FT run of cable. So your argument is invalid.

Does the breaker care whether or not the current alternates?

20' of 1/0 at 300 amps is a 10% drop. 14v goes to 12.6 on wire resistance alone.

Tuani Fabrication

Wasilla, AK

I did read you wrong, I didn't see tht you said @300 amps. I thought you were saying 15% drop over 30 feet. My bad.

Still though, who uses 1/0 if you will be pulling 300amp? You use either 2 runs or a single run of 2/0.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

my dad is an electrician and he said in theory that ac breaker would work but he wouldn't bet his car on it. and that chart you presented with the voltage drop i find it funny that that 0ga wire you choose said 125/100 amps and yes if you 300 amps through 125 amp wire you would have loads of heat and therefore tons of voltage drop

Archived