Sonic Electronix

I Messed With Too Much Stuff At Once And Now My Speakers Suck...

Powering off the deck. I have a '97 Explorer w/ JBL upgraded sound system. To wire the speakers to the h/u, I had to do some funky shit because of the JBL. I had to cut wires in the passenger's kick and bypass some electronics.

In that case, Im sure that there is a stock amp for the jbl sound system, and with you splicing and bypassing the stock amp you may of ended up not getting all the wires bypassed correctly, and some signal is still running through the stock amp, and when you re wired your door speakers something is causing the stock amp to short out and or cause the interference.

My friend had this problem in his bronco2 back in the day.

Edit: im also guessing since you attempted to bypass the stock amp, you didnt buy a wiring harness. With the harness you could of had everything working properly without snipping and rigging.

Id also try to find the stock amp and unplug all the power wires and speaker wire inputs and outputs from it. Or cut it, since your already are chopping wires :) Totally disconnecting the stock amp may fix it right away.

Edited by audiofanaticz

Okay, I will try unplugging the stock amp. The reason I cut the wires is because that us what the installer at my car audio shop said was the only way to do it with the JBL system. he said that there is no harness for that setup.

Does anyone know where the stock amp is or of a website that could help me locate it? I know there is one stock amp, but I thought it powered the small stock woofer. Would there be two or is the one in the back the amp I was bypassing and need to unplug?

sounds like you pinched a speaker wire when putting the speaker back into the door. That happened to me and this high pitched squeal came out and then static and whine. I checked and the postive on one of my speakers was touching the metal door and it fried my deck... I'm thinking this is it because you took out ur speakers and switched the wire, and u did not have this problem before the wire switch.

Loud is in the ear of the beholder

The stock amp should be on the passenger side in the rear quarter panel.

Most likely it is 1 amp for all 4 interior speakers and subwoofer.

If you are still planning on using the stock subwoofer, Id suggust figuring out which two wires are for your subwoofer, and unplug/disconnect the wires for the interior speakers.

You can get the wiring harness and bypass harness at most places, I even think bestbuy carries them. Umm crutchfield has them as well as sonicelectronix.com

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_5946_PAC+ADD-FRD1.html I think that would be the needed one but Im not sure.

Another thing you could try to narrow down which speaker it may be causing the interference is try fading your sound to all speaker at a time. front left, front right, rear left, rear right. maybe you will hear a difference in sound and may give you an idea of were to start.

But depending on how you went about by passing the stock amp maybe why you are having your problem now.

You are not really bypassing the amp unless:

A) you run complete new wires from your headunit to each speaker.

or

B) you run the speaker wire from your head unit to the wires comming from the output of the stock amp, of coarse disconnect the wires from your stock amp first. Then you would be using the stock wiring that runs from the amp to each speaker.

How the stereos are setup with the stock amp is the speaker wires come from the headunit, which goto the amp (usally in the back of the vehicle or in the trunk), from the amp all the way in the back they decided to go and waste even more wire and run the wires back up to the front for the front speakers.

So more then likely splicing into the wiring under the dash at the kick panel you are not bypassing the amp unless you have the return wires from the amp, and even if you do have the wires for the front speakers most likely you dont have the rear wires.

Your best bet, and easiest is to run new wires from the head unit to each induvisual speaker, this way if you ever go back to stock, all you got to do is hook the stock deck up and plug in the harness for the amp into the deck.