Second Skin Audio

Different size sub Same wattage.. More power?

Way too many variables to tell, right alpine? That's why threads like these don't end up well.

its all theory.. to many varibales is right math will tell you one thing real world will tell you another

and its hard to prove theorys wrong as well

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

I see more and more misunderstandings about this subject.

Power HANDLING has just about nothing to do with how loud a woofer will play. Just how much power the sub will handle.

You can have a 10,000w rms woofer get just as loud on 100w as a 100w rms woofer. It's other factors in the woofer construction that determine its loudness.

And no, an 18 is not "Stiffer" than 12s. that is not a factor.

What it can come down to is the materials used and construction of the woofers. If all that is equal, a single 18 has about 250 sq inches of cone area

Two 12s have about 225 sq inches of cone area.

This means that the single 18 does have a greater Potential to be louder.

Another factor is that the greater power handling of the single 18 would mean that it will run more reliable and more efficiently due to staying well below it's thermal limit. However power being spread over multiple coils can also exhibit that effect.

Ultimately what it will come down to is the enclosure, a pair of 12s may work better in smaller trunk cars due to the enclosure techniques and the single 18 may work better in a larger hatchback for the same reason.

It's up to you and your enclosure design and building capabilities.

Ive never owned an 18 and from the youtube video's i watch i always see people that can never bottem out a 18 with there hand ... and in some cases can barley move them! And thermal limit is my problem right now since my subs are seriously stinking but not getting hot? i dont know whats wrong but this is why im thinking bigger may be better.

I think by "Air movement" The above posters really mean displacement.

At 1200w total, how much air can 225 sq inches of cone area displace at its given excursion at that power Vs. 250 sq inches of cone area at it's excursion at that power level.

Depends on what woofers you are talking about.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Power HANDLING has just about nothing to do with how loud a woofer will play. Just how much power the sub will handle.

You can have a 10,000w rms woofer get just as loud on 100w as a 100w rms woofer. It's other factors in the woofer construction that determine its loudness.

What it can come down to is the materials used and construction of the woofers. If all that is equal, a single 18 has about 250 sq inches of cone area

Another factor is that the greater power handling of the single 18 would mean that it will run more reliable and more efficiently due to staying well below it's thermal limit. However power being spread over multiple coils can also exhibit that effect.

Ultimately what it will come down to is the enclosure, a pair of 12s may work better in smaller trunk cars due to the enclosure techniques and the single 18 may work better in a larger hatchback for the same reason.

BUT!!!! a 4000 watt rms 18 sure the hell is much stiffer then a 600 watt 12 so giving the 4000 rms sub 1200 watts will be under powered and not move as much as the 12's with the same power.. you could run a bigger more effecinet box but that will only go so far in all my testing the subs getting there rms was allways louder and less peaky then the under powered sub

At 1200w total, how much air can 225 sq inches of cone area displace at its given excursion at that power Vs. 250 sq inches of cone area at it's excursion at that power level.

Unforfently i am not allowed to post about any specific brand because it will bring rager's ill get banned ill PM you the brand i am looking at and have atm.

Unforfently i am not allowed to post about any specific brand because it will bring rager's ill get banned ill PM you the brand i am looking at and have atm.

You can post your brand of subs if you want, If you want proper help from posters, you have to. I am a mod, I will allow it.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

You can post your brand of subs if you want, If you want proper help from posters, you have to. I am a mod, I will allow it.

My brand of subs are 2 JL Audio 12w6's on a 1200.1 JL HD amp.

if you want the brand of 18 im looking at tell me its allowed and ill post it.

BUT!!!! a 4000 watt rms 18 sure the hell is much stiffer then a 600 watt 12 so giving the 4000 rms sub 1200 watts will be under powered and not move as much as the 12's with the same power.. you could run a bigger more effecinet box but that will only go so far in all my testing the subs getting there rms was allways louder and less peaky then the under powered sub

Just because a woofer can handle more power, does not meant that it will be stiffer. In fact, it shouldnt be. Some are, yes, but it depends on the woofer. The stiffness of some woofers is a side effect of the adding lateral control to the suspension.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

Just because a woofer can handle more power, does not meant that it will be stiffer. In fact, it shouldnt be. Some are, yes, but it depends on the woofer. The stiffness of some woofers is a side effect of the adding lateral control to the suspension.

true im just use to my monster stiffies i guess lol and im a competetor MORE POWER!!! lol

You can say.

But you are saying that your woofers get smelly from 600w rms each?

I think you may have another issue at hand and that distortion.

Have you attempted to adjust gains and level settings with an O-scope or any clipping meter? Or the help of a knowledgeable gain setter?

Proper tuning can be your solution.

Also, if you are looking to upgrade, a higher end single 18 does have the potential to perform better. I would suggest an efficient woofer but also set your gains right or you may have the same issue.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist