Second Skin Audio

Box for two Obsidian Audio 18s

I have Obsidian on my Facebook friends and the guy testing it has one in a 6cuin enclosure in a jeep sup up 6" airport 29hz driver side pulling a 144.4 on almost 1200 watts. He think s the 6inch port sound s more musical than the 8in port he had earlier.

That's because the higher your port area per cubic foot, the peakier it'll sound. The lower your port area per cu ft, the more musical it'll sound. If you're trying to sound really musical however, you've just gotta keep in mind that you don't want to have too low of port area to the point where you're choking the sub. And same goes for the higher side. If you're trying to make it peakier, don't make your port area per cu ft so big that it's basically playing in free air. That's why the average suggested is 12-16 sq in of port area per cu ft of box, 12 being on the musical side and 16 being on the peakier side.

There are exceptions to this as with all things though, for example I've heard that DD/AQ subs absolutely love port area. So most people tend to go with 16-18 sq in of port per cu ft for DD/AQ subs from what I've seen.

Just some of the stuff that I've seen people come to a consensus over while browsing teh SMD intarwebz :shrug:

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif