XS Power

How are these figures measured?

A 1970's information brochure I was reading about batteries suggests that the CA rating is the current the battery can supply for 30 seconds, without the battery dropping below 1.4volts per cell (8.4volts for a 12volt battery)

Is this the same standard being used today?

Also, what is the "max amps" then? or is it pretty much like "PMPO" and doesn't mean a whole lot? Or is there some method of testing this also? 3 seconds? short circuit current?

thanks!

ok, I found this on the XS website:

CA and CCA have been used since 1914 as a definition for battery performance. CA is defined as a measurement of the number of amps a 12 Volt battery can deliver for 30 seconds at 32°F and not drop below 7.2 volts. CCA is the same test at 0°F. These tests were meaningful for the cars of yesteryear that had to be cranked for a long time to get started. Back then CA and CCA numbers were very meaningful; however, for mobile audio use, immediate burst output is more important. XS Power batteries, when compared to the batteries of yesteryear, deliver much more power more quickly. This instant burst energy is what we call “MAX amps”.

But it doesn't explain what exactly "Max amps" is?

For how long? Um...like...right away? You are drawing current instantaneously, what would it matter if a battery could provide you 5 amps per second for 30 seconds? Batteries store but you still need a charging system, so depending on your current draw you may need to upgrade alternator and batteries.

This is simple as my fried brain can make it right now.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?