i was looking into getting an intake for my 2000 civic hatch but my boss is saying that installing a short ram intake is going to harm my engine a little bit because its still sucking in hot air. is this true? will it suck in that much more hot air compared to the stock intake? or would i be better off getting some ebay cold air intake kit and then buying a nice filter for it? or if the short ram wont cause any harm get like an aem short ram? thanks for any responses and advice!

subwoofers - two eclipse 88120s

box - 3.4 cubes tuned to 32 hz

amps - aq1200 and pheonix gold zx450

New build :

2 obsidian audio 15s

same amp

6.1 cubic foot box tuned to 32 hz in a civic hatch

dont get a ebay kit. What i did on my grand prix was just made my own CAI out of pvc pipe. IF you google it im sure you can find someone that has made one for a honda its pretty simple even i could do it. When it gets warmer out i am turning mine into a FWI as well.

99% of the time the stock intake is very restricted as well so anything you do should gain.

Edited by optical

It won't harm your engine. But a short ram intake is somewhat of a waste because even though you increase airflow, you're sucking in hot air from the engine bay. If you really want to upgrade it then look for a true cold air intake, one that'll suck the air from down in the front bumper/fender area. Down side to those is if you go through really deep puddles you can suck water. But anyone with a brain knows better than to go fording 12" deep water with a civic.

ok so the ebay kit is a no go then lol. im pretty much wanting better throttle response and a little bit more tone out of my apexi exhaust but not trying to break the bank either. should i just wait to save up for a cold air intake? or just get the short ram for the time being and then sell it when i upgrade? and how hard is it to install a cai? any drilling holes to make it go into the fender/ bumper area?

New build :

2 obsidian audio 15s

same amp

Adding an intake, short or long, isn't going to change the sound of your exhaust. It's gonna make things louder just because the stock intake and all it's silencers will be gone.

I'd save up for the real CAI, don't even mess with the short one. Either that or make your own with ABS pipe. As far as installation goes, google it. I'm sure you can find a million and one how-to's on Civic stuff lol

alright thanks. lol im still pretty new to all this performance and honda stuff. only had the car for about 2 weeks

New build :

2 obsidian audio 15s

same amp

ok so the ebay kit is a no go then lol. im pretty much wanting better throttle response and a little bit more tone out of my apexi exhaust but not trying to break the bank either. should i just wait to save up for a cold air intake? or just get the short ram for the time being and then sell it when i upgrade? and how hard is it to install a cai? any drilling holes to make it go into the fender/ bumper area?

you're talking about not breaking the bank when you have an apexi exhaust that costs well over $450+?

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

Thanks for the responses guys. And the apexi exhaust came with the car that's why I got that already. Im thinking about getting a lighter flywheel and stage 1 clutch.

New build :

2 obsidian audio 15s

same amp