2002 2500 chevy tweeter / highs issue

Swordlordboy1234

Okay the situation is... My dads truck, as seen above, has a system put in it. He got it done 4 years ago at the local stereo shop before i got into car audio. The amp is some off brand stuff that says 440.4 , never herd of the company before. He has 6.5 coaxl in the front and 5.5 coaxle in the rear doors. He also has the stock chevy Headunit. fronts are MB quart, rears are JL audio. My question is why when the volume is turned up the highs cut out. It will play full bore for about 10 seconds and then the highs cut out and it sounds like @$$. him being a non audio guy, just turns the treble up all the way and makes the mids reproduce the higher notes -_-.

I am not sure how he has them wired, and I'm not sure if he kept his stock tweeters in the door. (they come with a mid woofer and a separate tweeter. But i think he just replaced the woofer with a co axle.

Could the stock tweeter be throwing things off?

Could there be a blown speaker somewhere putting a single channel into protect?

can a single channel go into protect? lol.

Could it be the Head unit?

Why is it only the highs that cut out?

anyone with any suggestions please feel free. His amp is not DD1 tuned, basically just set everything on low (by me) because before the audio shop had BASS BOOST dial turned way high and the speakers would pop with anything more then a comfortable listening volume. Now that i turned all the settings low the amp screams how it should but the highs cut out. ]

we couldn't tell if it did that before i messed with the amp cause the woofers would pop. and it didn't do it after i adjusted the amp for at least a few months.

dad is one of those guys that doesn't know how to hear clipping speakers... Could he have turned the EQ maxed on his head unit and mashed the volume to blow a speaker? When i adjusted the amp it was able to be played Max HU volume and no clipping (by ear) but it shouldn't clip at all considering everything is super conservative on the settings

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

Archived