Second Skin Audio

Kove Armageddon "Pops" around 40hz?

Posting this for my buddy, he explained it to me but it has me stumped.

Older Kove Armageddon ZM10 D4 powered by an AP15001D in 1.5ish at 38hz

Coils read 4.1 each, doesn't make any noise at any other frequency but right around 40hz it will "pop" occasionally. Even down in the low 30's it's fine. Tried 2 different boxes he said and it does it in both. Tried a different sub on the same amp and no pop. Leads are stitched, leads in the box are tied up, gains are set conservatively by ear (Hasn't gotten on my DD-1 yet). He said it almost sounds like it's bottoming, but that doesn't make sense as it can play down in the low 30's and not do it. As far as we know sub has never been reconed, seems to be in good shape and sounds absolutely awesome at every other frequency. On the old amp seeing maybe 400ish it never made any noise, just started on the AP.

Any ideas?

Edited by 727Designs

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

Just signed up. I'm Rob, the owner of said P.I.T.A. sub. It's loud and clean, no distortion, just puts out a random pop at around 40hz. Been doin this stuff for years and never seen this before. Almost sounds like the coil is bottoming, but it'll just do it once, not the whole time it's at freq. 30hz is clean and will go full excursion cleanly. Just around 40 hz has a random pop. No bass boost on,(amp or hu). No other issues. Lost on this one

I had the same problem, Was sounding like it was "bottoming out" on the higher notes but lower were fine. It was the gains, I got it set up with the dd1 and didn't have a problem since.. It's doing it again now but i have a different amp and it needs the gains set again.

90 Nissan 240sx

Avic z-140bh

Audison SR4

Audison Voce 6.5s

CDT es-20 tweeters

Sundown 1500v3

(2) DD 9510's

3 cube box 2 6" aeros

XS Power D2400 & Xp950

Skyhigh/Knukonceptz/Rockford Fosgate wiring

More Coming Soon.. Check my builds below.

97 Civic Hatch Build

86 Caprice Build

you can pick up a chick in a car... I think it'd be hard to roll up mackin on a broad sittin on a sundown. My opinion

Just because it wont bottom out under tunning, doesnt mean it cant unload ABOVE tunning a well, How much excursion is there?

Very little that close to tuning. Noticeably more in the lower frequency.

I told him we would check it with the DD-1, may do that tonight.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(