Sonic Electronix

Theres plenty people running in the 1000 RMS area without electrical upgrades.

Will it be ideal- NO

Will it work Ok- YES

Least you have a yellow top. Must be better than what came factory in that car.

And as far as buying an amp that matches the RMS rating of a sub, take those numbers as an estimate. Being close is generally going to be fine. 1000 watts for example on a 900 watt woofer is not going to give you a problem if you have any sense at all. Its more common to see someone underpower a woofer and send a clipped signal to the woofer causing it to burn the coils very quickly. So in short buy an amp in the vicinity of the subs power handling ability and be sure to set the gains properly. If you were to choose an amp with more or less than the subs rated RMS, go with a little more rather than a little less which will give you plently overhead to get the most output with no clipping.

Can't do quotes since I'm on my phone, but thanks for the sub and amp suggestions.

I want to see if I've got my facts straight here. I'm sure there is more to it, but clipping is caused by an amp trying to push too hard. Correct?

Also, no one has directly addressed my enclosure concerns except for one person. So I'd like to see some second opinions.

Had some time to think and I'm pretty well settled on what to do now. Getting the Fi Q with an AQ 1200D.

Edit: Scratch that, Fi SSD.

I have a couple questions about the options on the Fi Q. I know they aren't really marketing gimmicks, but will I actually need extra cooling? Also, should I be getting Dual 1 Ohm since the amp is rated for 1200 at 1 Ohm. Correct?

Was wondering about wiring too. How you guys go about doing the Big 3 upgrade? I know I could get an Amp wiring kit for the sub and amp, but I'm not sure how to go about getting the wiring for the big 3.

Edited by Nums

As far as the sub options go, I would probably buy only the P Chamfer option unless you plan to be real hard on it the extra cooling will not be a huge factor for you. If you want to play it safe it cant hurt, thats for sure. And for the coils you do not want a dual 1 ohm sub for an amp that produces its best output at 1 ohm since you will be wiring the coils together it would give you only options of .5 ohms (parallel) or 2 ohms (series). Neither is optimum for that amp. You want Dual 2 ohm coils and wire it in parallel for 1 ohm at amp.

Someone can chime in on whether the AQ1200 is safe at .5 ohms but i do not know for sure. Best to just play it safe and do Dual 2 ohm coils

Heres a link to the FI Q options and what they actually do. Your choice on the cooling.

https://ssl.perfora....view.shopscript

Edited by rogue

Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. I was always confused on how dual coils affected the ohm rating.

I can take my other two questions to the appropriate sub forum (lol pun).

Thanks for all the help everyone. Especially rogue.

Edited by Nums