Sonic Electronix

shit changes when you put it in a car. that's all i'm gonna say :)

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

shit changes when you put it in a car. that's all i'm gonna say :)

When you model your enclosure/sub combination in WinISD, it gives you a response curve that's realistic in an anechoic environment... meaning wide open area. So if you were to take your enclosure in a wide open area with no walls, the curve shows you how it will sound.

WinISD doesn't take into account what's called "cabin gain"... your car isn't wide open like an anechoic environment. It's closed off on 3 sides and all the sound that would go those 3 other directions are forced forward, giving you gain. Every car is different, so there's no way in hell it will show you what it would sound like in the car. But all else being equal, it does help you compare responses from different enclosures.

I modeled my enclosure straight out of WinISD so I could get an idea on how to squeeze more bass from the 20-30 region... and I got exactly what I expected.

Edited by srp365

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Tis true.

I use it pretty much as a torres calculator to give me numbers of various box and port configurations. I don't really look at the graph much because its not accurate for within a car senerio. I did however use it as a tool to understand the different ways that boxes worked when i first started learning about audio about six years ago.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

This is how I used it. Now I understand that it's not going to show me cabin gain, but the differences will be the same between the three options I have

Yellow=Sealed 1.58 cubes, RF Recommended enclosure

Red=Vented 2.66 cubes, 34hz, RF Recommended enclosure

Green=Vented 3.42 cubes, 29.8hz, What I actually built.

3enclosures.jpg

If I had built the recommended enclosure (RED line), the box would peak a bit higher than I want it to. I wanted realistically get as much low end extension as I could, so I added volume to it and tuned lower.

Now I get 3db more from 20-40hz by trading off 1-2db from 50-75hz, and by adding 3/4 cubes and tuning 4hz lower.

I get almost 6db gain at 20-45hz just by going ported instead of sealed. Basically I doubled my subs and power for free just going ported.

Just sayin.

2007 Pacifica

And for fun...

SMDvsMe.jpg

The orange line is Steve Meade's Tahoe, 4 SMD 18s, 20 cubes, tuned to 30hz on 30k, vs my RF Punch 1 on 180 watts.

Just for comparison. :lol2:

2007 Pacifica