Second Skin Audio

Looking for some advice for a starter! Really need some help!!

Well, for starters, I'm only 16, but I am really really eager to learn all I can about car electronics, but mainly car audio. Right now in my trunk I have two Kicker Comp 15's in a ported box with a 2000W Lanzar Amp. Yes I know Lanzar Amps are garbage, but at the time it was all I could get. However, I don't think I'm getting the most out of my subs, like they're nothing close to videos I've seen on youtube of people with the same subs. I also want to know what the best wattage and enclosure would be for this setup, and possibly if I would need a car audio battery. I also have two Rockford Fosgate P1694 6x9 speakers that I want to add some kick to with a smaller amp, and I really need some wiring ideas along with possible amps. All and any help is appreciated, including tips and anything else you want to add. Thanks in advance!

They say money can't buy you happiness...but money buys car audio...and car audio makes me happy.

The man makes the money, the money shouldn't make the man.

1999 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4D

Pioneer AVH-2400BT (Double DIN Conversion)

(2) Skar VVX-12 D4

Crescendo BC2000D

(2) MB Quart 4.125

Image Dynamics CTX 6.5 Components

Infinity Reference 6032cf (4)

Infinity Reference 6432cf (2)

48 sq ft. Damplifier

Big 3 in 0G

Optima YellowTop D75 under the Hood

XS Power D1200 in the rear

2 Full runs 1/0

R.I.P.

1993 Cadillac Deville Touring 4D

Pioneer DEH-P7200HD Headunit

2 Kicker Comp C15's

Lanzar HTG257 2000W (For now)

2 Pioneer TS-G1344R Coaxials

2 Sound Ordnance P-35

2 Rockford Fosgate P1694 6X9's

Welcome and I started at 16 as well, :angry2: that was 20 years ago though LOL. Ok well the kickers are a nice start and the amp is decent, not great but ok. Lets start with the wiring, what gauge power wire are you running and what are your subs wired at? Second what are the specs on your box? Also pics of the set up if you have any would be cool.

Once again Welcome to SMD, I would recommend read LOTS and take advise. And never mistake knowledge for arrogance.

Yeah the amp was definitely fit in on a budget, but alright here's the specs, and I'll clarify the questionable ones sometime tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the power wire is 8 Gauge, 900 watt, I'm pretty sure they're wired at 2 ohms, and the box (Pre-fab, but once again, on a budget.) :

• Dual 15" Vented Sub Box
    • Mounting Depth: 17-1/4"
    • Air Space: 2.40 Cubic Feet Per Sub
    • Vented Enclosure
    • Dimensions: Width 36" x Height 16-1/2" x Depth 18"

[*]Vented Design allows for maximum output

[*]Constructed with High Quality MDF

[*](2) High Quality Binding Terminal Cups (Accepts Banana Terminal Plugs OR Bare Wire 'up to 10GA')

[*]High Quality Gray Carpet

And I have some pictures, but I don't know how to upload them to the 'my media' thing on here. And thanks for the advice man, I really appreciate it. And I'm looking forward to exploring the forums some more, Steve is a legend.

They say money can't buy you happiness...but money buys car audio...and car audio makes me happy.

(2) Skar VVX-12 D4

Crescendo BC2000D

(2) MB Quart 4.125

48 sq ft. Damplifier

Big 3 in 0G

2 Full runs 1/0

R.I.P.

2 Kicker Comp C15's

2 Sound Ordnance P-35

If your running 8 gauge I want to tell you to stop right now! I know that amp isn't pulling rated but that much draw on such a small wire is not good at all. I can dig up pics of burnt carpet from cars we've had here from to small of wire. Your box is a little on the small side as well. Kicker as a recommendation for a ported enclosure is at 6.011 cu.ft. tuned to 32 hz. for their minimum. Max for them is 8.013 tuned to 29hz.

But first I want you to stop using that 8 gauge for power wire, don't toss it out because you can later wire your subs up with it....

Oh dang I never would have known, what gauge would you recommend? And yeah, I figured the box was too small, I will probably look into getting a custom build for the box since the trunk opening is a little different, but is that chamber size per sub or per pair? And here's the setup, the amp is mounted on the side.

(2) Skar VVX-12 D4

Crescendo BC2000D

(2) MB Quart 4.125

48 sq ft. Damplifier

Big 3 in 0G

2 Full runs 1/0

R.I.P.

2 Kicker Comp C15's

2 Sound Ordnance P-35

And sorry, how do you post a picture? I can't figure out how to add stuff to 'my media' and I tried copying and pasting, but it didn't show up.

(2) Skar VVX-12 D4

Crescendo BC2000D

(2) MB Quart 4.125

48 sq ft. Damplifier

Big 3 in 0G

2 Full runs 1/0

R.I.P.

2 Kicker Comp C15's

2 Sound Ordnance P-35

I use photobucket then post the link they provide from my pics to the page. Pretty easy, I think there is a topic on that someplace. May have to search for it.

As for wire I'd think forward....you may only be pushing ......watts now but soon it will be ....... watts. In other words over kill is always better, I'd look at running 0 gauge. You already sound like the kind of guy that isn't going to stop at your current system lol.

Oh yeah definitely not haha I'm in this thing for the long haul, gotta always be upgrading. And yeah I was curious to the truth behind that amp actually pushing 2000 watts. And alright I'll try that with photobucket tomorrow. But so 0 gauge would work? Not questioning it, but how does that affect the overall draw off the amp? Honestly, I just know the smaller (number) the gauge, the bigger the diameter of the wire.

(2) Skar VVX-12 D4

Crescendo BC2000D

(2) MB Quart 4.125

48 sq ft. Damplifier

Big 3 in 0G

2 Full runs 1/0

R.I.P.

2 Kicker Comp C15's

2 Sound Ordnance P-35

Think of the wire as a straw and your the amp. The louder you turn it up the thirstier your amp gets, with a small straw your going to burst a blood vessel in your head your sucking so hard lol. well when an amp is sucking energy and the wire is to small instead of bursting a blood vessel your creating heat, the longer you play the more heat and eventually melted shielding. The larger the straw the bigger drink you can take. But ground has to be same size also. I really hope that makes sense lol. If not pm me and I'll try again.

Oh okay thanks! I get it now haha. But now on the chamber size, how in the world do I get a box to be 6 cubic ft per sub in a car??

(2) Skar VVX-12 D4

Crescendo BC2000D

(2) MB Quart 4.125

48 sq ft. Damplifier

Big 3 in 0G

2 Full runs 1/0

R.I.P.