Sonic Electronix

This is actually for a friends car, 2001 Ford Explorer F150. So we installed the power wire and ground and all that stuff and when we went to turn the car on it wouldnt start, THEFT kept blinking. Almost like a kill switch was engaged. Well then we remembered that when he bought the truck it came with a remote start installed but it never worked and the guy didnt know much about it so we just left it alone and used the stock key fob as the aftermarket ones didn't work. Once we pulled the power wire off the battery the car fired right up no problem. Could there be something interfering with this remote start? We trouble shooted for a little but the only time the car wouldnt start is when the power wire was hooked up. It wouldnt even start when the power wire wasn't hooked up to the amp and only the battery.

I cant figure it out but the only thing that makes me think its the remote start is that THEFT keeps blinking, my old remote start did that if you tried to drive it away without the keys in it and the engine would disengage. Any thoughts?

2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Front Stage: Crescendo CCX 6.5's

Rear Stage: ???

Two 15" Powerbass M154

Audiopipe AP15001d

Pioneer DEH-P5100UB

that actually happened to me once. i had stock electric and charging system in my car. i had an amp hooked up it was only 820 watt but pretty much all of that 820 was being drawn. at first it didnt give me any trouble but once i went to start my car i turned the switch on for the amp and my car cut off and wouldnt start back up while the switch was on. im not real sure why it did that i guessed my battery was a little low or it was just too much of a load for my charging system. but that doesnt make much sense because thats the only time that happened. had no more issues like that afterwards.

Yeah I have no idea what to do with it. It acts like a kill switch like lets say on my brothers cadillac, it doesnt have an actual key just as long as its in the car and if you drive off without it the car shuts off. He has stock electrical and all that because at the moment it was only a MB quart 50.4 and the speakers werent even hooked up yet. I think the only thing to do is take it to a shop and have them look at it. We just wish we could figure it out before he spends the money because its probably something simple.

2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Two 15" Powerbass M154

Audiopipe AP15001d

Pioneer DEH-P5100UB

what do you have your remote wire hooked to?

domo.gif

NISSAN SKYLINE GTR R32 (Build in progress)Fosgate POWERhttp://www.stevemead...-fosgate-power/--------------------------------------------------------------------97 Honda AccordRockford Fosgate1400 watts RMS totalhttp://www.stevemead...e-1400watt-rms/---------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you tried starting the car with the power cable unplugged, and once its started put it back on the battery? Does the car die or is it still fine?

something happened to trigger the oem anti theft. not aftermarket. but for future reference, if there are issues with the remote start, simply get under the dash and remove it. theyre much easier to uninstall than to install. just make sure to tape any bare wire once finished. being an 01, it would have required a transponder override, and if not properly installed, or properly programmed it can cause some serious issues with start up or security--also inserting an incorrect key and attempting to start the car can cause a starter interrupt pattern in the car. look for either an ignition cylinder ring or to see if someone has tapped a programmable bypass into rx/tx data wires where the key inserts (under the plastic around the ignition cylinder). its always fixable, just a matter of getting the wiring correct, or potential programming.

what do you have your remote wire hooked to?

The blue wire coming out of the harness...but come to think of it I did it quick and wasnt paying much attention, Might have hooked it into the wrong blue wire one but would that really cause the battery to have an issue? Unless you mean did I connect it to the constant cause I know I didnt do that ha.

Have you tried starting the car with the power cable unplugged, and once its started put it back on the battery? Does the car die or is it still fine?

It still fine, doesnt die off.

something happened to trigger the oem anti theft. not aftermarket. but for future reference, if there are issues with the remote start, simply get under the dash and remove it. theyre much easier to uninstall than to install. just make sure to tape any bare wire once finished. being an 01, it would have required a transponder override, and if not properly installed, or properly programmed it can cause some serious issues with start up or security--also inserting an incorrect key and attempting to start the car can cause a starter interrupt pattern in the car. look for either an ignition cylinder ring or to see if someone has tapped a programmable bypass into rx/tx data wires where the key inserts (under the plastic around the ignition cylinder). its always fixable, just a matter of getting the wiring correct, or potential programming.

I dont trust myself or my friend enough to remove it, I think we may just bring it to a shop to look at that but we would really like to figure out this battery issue. Hes going to buy a new battery friday and see if that has anything to do with it, personally I dont think it does because like you said, something is setting off the anti-theft

2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Two 15" Powerbass M154

Audiopipe AP15001d

Pioneer DEH-P5100UB

Battery probably doesn't have anything to do with it. I don't recall if I even heard this but isn't there something with some cars if something is messed with it sets off the anti theft?

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

rebel is right some cars have factory theft that anything that pulls a draw on stock electrical and stuff it will sometime kick it into anti theft especially if you tie into the ignition wires. but 2001 seems a little old for that situation? what was the harness like and what size is the motor and stuff? is there a factory amp or is it like any other stereo?

Well we figured out the problem. Today, I through a DMM on it just to check the voltage when it would lock out the engine and when we i connected the DMM the anti-theft stopped, when I pulled the DMM off it went back on, apparently ford decided to put a place piece of the bottom of the positive terminal that over time melted down and caused a terrible connection from the terminal to the battery and putting the power wire on it basically separated what little connection there was. Cut the plastic piece off and replaced the terminal and everything is perfectly fine now.

2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Two 15" Powerbass M154

Audiopipe AP15001d

Pioneer DEH-P5100UB