Second Skin Audio

Rms and Specs How do I know if the subs Im looking at is worth the cash

I just got started in the behind scene of car audio.I'm learning and I have more knowledge/experience then most average up and coming bass heads.I am having trouble with proper sub selection,and I find myself to be confused by everything out there.

Question1: Rms..I have 2 Orion xtr124's they have a beefy magnet and an even beefier surround,But the Rms is 250/500.Now I have a Hifonics HFX12d4 Rms 400/800.Now the Hifonics feels like plastic compared to the Orion,but the Rms is higher.Why????? And the first subs I ever had was Pioneer TS-w301R Rms 150/1000...So I guess what I'm asking is,what am I looking for in a speaker that will get me numbers(SPL). And what is the peak wattage and Rms about.I have a general idea but it still doesn't make sense..

Please Excuse me,but I thought that this would be a good thread for people new like me.If I could get a Pro to explain in English How to know if a sub is worth the $ and what Rms and peak really mean,etc..would be awsome thank you

Question2:I have stumbled onto the DAD site and I found the KMH and the BD 15 inch sub..Does anybody have anything to say about DAD before I buy these. I personally am planing on getting the Crescendo 3500 and 2 KMH15's all together it should cost me $900 Does anyone have a better solution for my SPL needs.I'm a full time student with a full time job and I have a part time wife so Money is very tight so I'm looking for most bang for my buck...Thanks everyone who answers this.I wish you a satisfying build and a good day..

R.I.P...99'Dodge Grand Caravan

03 Lancer Oz

Big 3

HU-JVC KD-530

RCA's-rockerfosgate

41/2 inch Infinity mids

Subs-(12's)2 Orion xtr124

Amp-Coustic600se

battery-2 x stock, 1x Shuriken SK-BT20

Box-L-ported 3.562cubes@35Hz

miscellaneous-stinger volt-meter, gain nob, (coming soon bass pro,eq,line drive)

I dont have flex yet but damn I sound good,(coming soon....flex)

Check out my HHR install

Everything I install or build here:http://s1160.photobu...s/q485/MrBfree/

Also video's of my Car with the new box.http://www.youtube.c...lentGyge/videos

RMS is continuous power subwoofer can take over some period of time.

Max power is power subwoofer can take over a very very short time, like burp for <5 seconds.

while this is true, max power means absolutely nothing 99.9% of the time.

no one can tell you if woofer A will give you better "spl" or "sq" than woofer B. but twistedchild runs DAD and he seems to like them a whole lot

Build your box close to perfect. 70% of the sound is from your box. So don't mess up too bad =)

New build coming soon. [center][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/sigtoo.jpg/"][img]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9541/sigtoo.jpg[/img][/url][/center]

Thanks everyone.Uhmm I personally have 3 box's for 4 subs I have my 2 Orions in a ported box that is 45Hz (I think).In my van it sounds perfect, with a 50Hz tone I got 1 windshield wiper to shake and bounce.And I have a enclosure for a 12,and a ported mtx thunder box, I put the other Hifonics in... I have 2 amps powering all 4 subs My Coustic600se powers my 2 Orion's.They are wired Parallel/series,and in my over tuned box they hit hard.Alot of people say I have the loudest system they have heard in a while.Sorry that was redundant.the other 2 boxs have the Hifonics.I have them hooked to a Jensen 200 ..I personally like the sound of ported and enclosed together it sounds more solid...I know that it is very ghetto to have 3 boxs,I lost the van and Now im going to put what I can in a Lancer OZ... So now I would like to save up for a better set up

03 Lancer Oz

Big 3

HU-JVC KD-530

RCA's-rockerfosgate

41/2 inch Infinity mids

Amp-Coustic600se

miscellaneous-stinger volt-meter, gain nob, (coming soon bass pro,eq,line drive)

Check out my HHR install

it probably sounds good to you but it would probably sound like shit to us. not being a dick, but im just saying. mixing woofers and boxes is a huge no no. cancellation comes into effect here. i bet if you built a box with a design from one of the guys on here, you'll burn all your other boxes

it probably sounds good to you but it would probably sound like shit to us. not being a dick, but im just saying. mixing woofers and boxes is a huge no no. cancellation comes into effect here. i bet if you built a box with a design from one of the guys on here, you'll burn all your other boxes

yea you have no point of reference, id be willing to bet if you heard a proper setup youd become a believer

Lol alienate much!?!?!?...I don't have any mid's except the front door mids and I'm only working with 700 watts MAX.The systems sounds good for what I have to deal with...the enclosure just gives a solid sound added with ported from what I'm hearing..And that's probably cause my box is tuned too high and I have no mids..Trust me I am a believer that's why I am asking I would rather measure 5 times and cut once then to have to measure 6 times and cut once,,,or something like that...? Oh yeah and if I had one of the box designs from you guys I wouldn't just burn my first ever hand crafted "Mr.Free design's" Box. I would probably Sell it to some other retard who is just getting into car audio,so I wont be the only person around my way with a box tuned too high to be fit for a decent set of mid's. In my defense I have a short story. I was at my local audio store I had my Girlfriend go inside and buy a dash- kit.While she was in there I was messing around with my set up, burping(LOL burping with 800 watts max.Yes I can say pretintious) a couple notes here and there.Well I asked a guy who was just standing around If he would say that he knows what a good stereo sounds like. He said yeah it sounds like yours.I asked him who he was talking about, and he said me again so I told him that I had 2 12" P.O.S TS-W301R Pioneers the blue ones.LOL I told him it's all in the box. He was surprised, cause I was bumpin! When his friend came out of the shop he told him to come hear my set up cause it sounds just like his. The dude got an attitude and said that it only sounded like that cause its in a van. Anyway I have been around and built alot of systems I am just now getting into the behind the scene mechanics of true numbers and spl. I have seen a T-line built close to spec if not spec with a 15" ported box on top of it crammed into the back of a Daytona that you could hear a MILE(give or take but I'm being serious it had a distinct sound that you would hear a couple minutes before you seen it) a way with the windows down. I know what loud and good sound like.With out Sound deadner and only a 600 watt amp and a 200 what amp I am Bumpin I'm not getting window flex or anything but I sound good for only 800 watts.I highly respect your guys's say in anything,and I would love to get a box design from one of you.Matter of fact I am putting the best of what I got in the back of a 03 Lancer Oz. I have 2 Orion Xtr124's,and 2 Hifonics Hfx12d4's the amp is Coustic600se.I don't know what sub to use for this build cause the Orion has a bigger surround,but has lower Rms its only 250/500.The Hifonics is way lighter, and way cheaper looking,but has Rms 400/800. Thats why I made this thread. Hopefully what I have written has been coherent, and I highly appreciate any and all responses.And honestly the response I get here is what I go off of that's why I'm here.

As always I wish you all a satisfying build and a good night...

Lol my girl comes out of the store and we drive off.I told her about the demo I just did,and what they guys said. She said that some douche bag was in the store, and when they heard my demo the douche bag said to the owner "Sorry my buddy's must have got tired of watching the tv"..Point being is the guys at that shop are buying DD's my dealer is a DD dealer. I have spent less then 300 bucks on my build. I know that I can get way louder with better specs and equipment so how do I know what is better?

03 Lancer Oz

Big 3

HU-JVC KD-530

RCA's-rockerfosgate

41/2 inch Infinity mids

Amp-Coustic600se

Check out my HHR install