Second Skin Audio

Wiring multiple subs for desired ohm load.

Hey, does anyone know of a wiring wizard that handles more than 4 subs? I'm wrecking my brain trying to figure out how to wire my subs to get the ohm load and on top of that, I'm needing to figure out which type of coils(dvc2 or dvc4) would allow the least amount of jumpers(to lessen the number of troubleshooting spots).

If there was a program or list of diagrams that could be added as a sticky, I feel it would greatly benefit the sub/enclosure forum.

So if anyone wants to wreck their brains and do some calculating(I got lost doing the figuring lol), then you're welcome to join in.

My desired ohm load is 8ohms, with 8 subs wired to mono, do i need dvc2 or dvc4 coils, do i need to run a mix of dvc2 and dvc4 coils to achieve it, if so, how many of each type of coil?

Thanks in advance, Mike.

Ps. Going to ask amps question in amp forum.

Sponsored by:

Kenwood

Pioneer

Linear Power

YWS

LoCrew Customs

AirRide

SMC

Viair

Series-tuned 6th on 4.8kw @8ohms.

Thanks for the quick replies, that's helped a bunch. If I wired subs to 4ohms each, then wired 4 together in series to make 16ohms......then I'd have 2 sets of 4subs, each set making 16ohms of load....wire those 2 sets in parallel to make 8ohms right? That also would most likely be the least amount of wire running right?

Sponsored by:

Kenwood

Pioneer

Linear Power

YWS

LoCrew Customs

AirRide

SMC

Viair

Thanks for the quick replies, that's helped a bunch. If I wired subs to 4ohms each, then wired 4 together in series to make 16ohms......then I'd have 2 sets of 4subs, each set making 16ohms of load....wire those 2 sets in parallel to make 8ohms right? That also would most likely be the least amount of wire running right?

I won't post in another one of your threads until I see a proof of equipment. Your post here and the amp post, lead me to wonder if you have any real idea on how application works. Your posts seem like a lot of theory. Why are you wanting to run 8 ohms? Are you thinking it will draw less current from the vehicles charging system? While we are asking, is this even planned on GOING into a vehicle, or once again, is all of this talk hypothetical?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Here's an excerpt from my other thread response: "The way I was explained, is that since higher ohm loads require more voltage, your amp can control your subs more precisely with higher voltage less current, than with a lower ohm load that requires less voltage and higher current. ...something to do with higher current being better for long drawn out tones versus higher voltage being better for making your sub respond quicker to tone changes."

That's how I was explained it worked from the people at Linear Power, specifically the ones in the sql scene. Hence the 8ohm wiring setup. Yes, we're currently designing the enclosure for the truck, 50" wide x 60" deep x 18" tall, made from 1" mdf. Approximately 25.78cu-ft unloaded.

Sponsored by:

Kenwood

Pioneer

Linear Power

YWS

LoCrew Customs

AirRide

SMC

Viair

8 subs for SQ? This doesn't make a lot of sense. The only reason I said I wouldn't respond is because get on here ALL day long and are like what if I do this or that and NEVER follow through with a build. As long as you're serious about a build, then so be it. Tackling a system of this caliber and not knowing simple things like wiring ohm loads, and current draw, would scare me if I were you. Have you done a system to the extent that youre planning this one?

Edited by CleanSierra

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.