Sonic Electronix

I used FatMat in my car, it worked pretty well, i was satisfied. It did smell for about 3 days, just roll down your windows.

1989 Chevy Beretta

My Gear

HU- Kenwood KIV-701

Amp- Alpine PDX 600.1M this will change in the very near future

Sub- 10" JL W6V2 in H.O box, will be W6V3 when released, I'm ready for the trolling XD

Speakers- 6 1/2 Memphis PR component custom door mount, 4" Memphis Coax PR in dash, 5 1/4 Memphis Coax in rear deck, upgrade soon. 3-Way C5 in front, rear deck unknown yet

Power Wire- Memphis 1/0 AWG to StreetWires fused +/- distro, Memphis 4 AWG out, plus 4 AWG Big 3

RCA's- StreetWires ZN3 2 Chan/ ZN5 4 Chan + StreetWires 9 Conductor, All this is going to Memphis UTPF soon enough

CompuStar Alarm/Remote Start 2 way with 901 remote.

I know I'm forgetting stuff too

139.4 term lab on the glass vented. 44Hz

Have you compare the mega mat? Im curious to know how it holds up...

Yeah I have (just recently)... it's better than their other two materials by a long shot.

Very little smell (compared to FatMat and XXX Rattle Trap).

And better adhesive than their other products.

And that's about where I'll leave it. I was always told if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

EDIT: BTW, personally, for $40 I would take 10 sq. ft. of Dynamat Xtreme over 50 sq. ft. of FatMat any day of the week. :D

Edited by Second Skin Rep Jon

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

You know, I have been in a car with peel and seal from home depot and in the heat of the summer in Florida, it did not smell at all. I have also picked up a roll and heated it up till it was like room temp butter with my heat gun and it still had no odor and well lets just say way way too sticky. I don't like to be so plain about information but a dampener is a dampener. It is mainly for the purpose or reducing high frequency noises from a surface. As long as you make sure you roll it on, I prefer to heat it up as well, then it will stay on your vehicle very nicely. I don't know how it does in winter seasons since Florida does not have any, but that might be where butyl comes in. To me the rest is hype.

You know, I have been in a car with peel and seal from home depot and in the heat of the summer in Florida, it did not smell at all. I have also picked up a roll and heated it up till it was like room temp butter with my heat gun and it still had no odor and well lets just say way way too sticky. I don't like to be so plain about information but a dampener is a dampener. It is mainly for the purpose or reducing high frequency noises from a surface. As long as you make sure you roll it on, I prefer to heat it up as well, then it will stay on your vehicle very nicely. I don't know how it does in winter seasons since Florida does not have any, but that might be where butyl comes in. To me the rest is hype.

This information is very much false. Try a good quality dampener and you will see why.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

dampeners arent all the same. peel and seal is a fucking roofing product for gods sake. i've used it and it barely worked. and i put 3 layers of it on.

the price point of a lot of these products, layering etc, is virtually the same if you just go with a good product like second skin from the get go. i think it was like 5 layers of PnS had equivalent damping properties to a SINGLE layer of SS damp pro. the end cost was like, the same.

Edited by Kranny

I'm just the messenger of information, so don't shoot me! :)

When it comes to asphalt based products/roofing material, typically the older the product the less it will smell. And of course each product smells more or less than the next, so some might smell, others not so much (if at all).

Heating up any asphalt/butyl based product is a big no-no because you can (and are) actually speeding up the deterioration process of the product. You're basically cooking the stable butyl rubber that is in the material OUT of it, once that is achieved the performance and stability of the product goes out the window (since rubber is added to these asphalt products to increase the stability of the asphalt).

You can actually cook an asphalt based product to the point that it's 100% stable, BUT you render it completely hard, brittle, and 100% worthless since it would have no elastomeric properties at that point.

This is why I would never and have never suggested using an asphalt based product, it's just unstable...

Just my 2¢s.

Edited by Second Skin Rep Jon

usa_render4.png

Second Skin, SDS, Dynamat... all good options. :drink40:

Shop Packs (80 sq. ft.) have been the norm for that size of vehicle. If you follow the 25% coverage per panel to a tee, you could probably get away with using 40 sq. ft. or so.

Of course the best and most accurate option is to get your trusty tape measure out and measure. :)

usa_render4.png