Found a deal on craigslist last night and went and checked it out today. Its a 2009 Kawasaki KX85 Monster Energy edition, everything looked good on it and i knew going inknewit needed the top end rebuilt.

The guy i bought it from bought it needing a new top end as well, he bought the kit and was installing everything and ended up dropping a clip into the cylinder and didnt realize it. Put everything back together and started it up and the clip shot up the cylinder and lodged itself into the cylinder wall and thats where it sits now.

Im coming here hoping someone can help me out, and hopefully put me in the direction to try and get a top end kit or at least a new cylinder, piston and rings, since everything else in the top end is brand new. Here is the picture of the cylinder that he sent me:

IMG_0240.jpg

Heres a picture of the bike itself and one of my truck and the bike:

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

But if anyone could help me on what i can do to get this thing running i would appreciate it.

You'll definitely need a cylinder, piston, and rings. These cylinders are nikasil coated and if you bore that cylinder you'll have to have it recoated which is $$$. Try to find a cheap aftermarket cylinder kit like Athena or Cylinder Works, you can usually get a full top end kit with gaskets, new cylinder, piston, rings, etc for a nice chunk less than OEM if they make one. Also, flush out that bottom end good. Make sure no small pieces worked their way into the cases, if they did you may have problems.

Two strokes are generally cheap to build anyway, so you should be riding for a relatively low price.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

Thanks for the help guys. I found this on e-bay and it looks like maybe my best and cheapest route, and maybe i could e-mail him and see if i could just get a cylinder, piston, and rings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KX85-KX-85-Cylinder-Piston-Top-End-Ring-Gasket-Kit-2009-/170611199339#ht_1519wt_843

Does this look like everything i need?

Looks good, and not a bad price for all of it. Re-coating a cylinder by itself would be $250+ so $440 for everything including gaskets will be hard to beat. Can't stress enough how much you need to make sure you don't have any metal shavings in the bottom end. You need pretty much everything in that kit to properly rebuild the top end on it, might as well buy the whole kit instead of pieces.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

Yeah i definitely dont mind buying the whole kit, the guy just said that he never rode the bike after he tried installing the new top end that he bought. So he said that the gaskets, and piston pin and all that should be brand new (about 3 months old) which is why i was wondering. I was gonna try and get this thing running and flip it for some cash, which i think i can do as long as i keep my cost to a minimum.

But i trust yall here, so ill probably order that kit tomorrow. Is there anything else i should do or look for when rebuilding the top end and flushing out the bottom end?

Not really, 2 stroke engines are pretty simple. Since it has been sitting I'd give the carb a good cleaning, and make sure all of the jets are clear. On the first tank of gas I mix a little rich, after that I go to a 32:1 ratio so I'd clean the old plug and run it through the first tank, then stick a new plug in by the 2nd tank. Also check the reeds for wear or cracks, and check for cracks in the intake boot between the cylinder and carb, but I doubt on an 09 you will find any.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

Archived