I Dislike My Excelon, And My First Post......

Hello, and thanks Admins for lettin me on here to discuss, learn and consume car audio knowledge.

In my sig, you can see that I thought Kenwood Excelon was pretty good stuff when I bought all my gear. I had a xB when I bought my deck, and I moved it into my FJ in October '06 when I bought it. It has been fine until a few months agobut now it wants to do what it feels like doing from time to time, I started paying attention when I kept noticing that the front stage would sound "off" every now and then. My EQ settings are set to "user" and they change with each start up of the ignition. Some times they will be where I left them when I set it, and sometimes they will be completely different. The rear settings always stay the same , but the front likes to aggravate me. My satellite and FM presets stay the same, the built in clock is always showing a accurate time, and things like display color, and background stays the same. The other little bug it has is when surfing satellite channels I can push the channel forward on the remote and sometimes it will go up one channel, sometimes it will do nothing, so I push it again, and again and then finally it will hop 3 to 4 channels all at once.

I am seriously ready for something new. The easy thing to do would be to go with another Kenwood so my satellite brain and Ipod adapter will plug and play , but The last excelon deck I had before this one had the flip face, which of course the motor failed and the face got stuck half way flipped. Not fun. I think Kenwood is some of the best when it comes to head units but these little flaws get old and expensive quickly. I may do double din , but I still like the take off face so I can feel like I have some sort "security" when I walk away from my truck. What alternatives do I have, I have always had Kenwood head units so I never even shopped around. I want something easy to use, has all the goods out back ( 5v pre outs, and lots of them, good ipod connectivity and sirius ) I think alpine but please chime in.

This is the first forum after lurking and reading constantly that I feel like I can trust what people say.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

for a nice clean look, the alpine w-205 would be great! High speed ipod connection as well. I have no personal use with kenwood products. Im very loyal to alpine since ive never had any problems with them

o the 205 is a double din unit

Lets Go Ski

I think I may be willing to step up to double din, I was just reading meades thread about a deck for one of his rides. 1100 is a bit much for a single din, and for that kinda bread in the dash, I mind as well go double din.

thanks ...... Anyone else?

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

Archived