Sonic Electronix

Installing PAC TR-7 with Alpine Power Pack with Alpine IXA-W404 [Problem]

I'm not sure if this is in the right section or not, but if its not I'm sorry...

Okay so I have an Alpine IXA-W404 Head Unit that I got off of craigslist and installed awhile ago. Not realizing I needed to attach 2 wires to the foot brake and hand brake leads to get full functionality of the menu and options I installed it anyway. After recently doing some research I bought a PAC TR-7 to bypass the Alpine video procedure so I dont need to wire to my foot brake and hand brake leads. Well I also have an alpine power pack that I wanted to install at the same time so I dont have to take apart my dash multiple times. I tried to install it already but i'm having problems getting the PAC TR-7 to work, but the power pack is working properly. I think the problem might be that the power pack doesnt have a yellow/black wire (for the foot brake lead), but it does have a yellow/blue wire (for the hand brake lead). Since it doesnt have a yellow/black wire im not sure what to connect to the PAC. Where the yellow/black wire is supposed to be, there is an orange wire so I tried wiring that to the pack but it didnt work. Here is how I have it wired:

Headunit-->TR7's green wire tapped into alpine blue wire on power pack, TR7's red tapped into alpine red on power pack, TR7's black wire tapped into alpine black on power pack, the TR7's blue wire to alpine power pack orange, and the TR7's white to the alpine power pack yellow/blue.-->And then the Alpine to Mazda wiring harness is going from the back of the power pack into my car.

Like I said the power pack is working great, it's just the PAC that I cant get to work. I bought it new so it's already programmed and the programming switched is turned to the off position.

Please help me I have been stuck on this project for a few days and my dash is still torn apart.

I'm new to these forums so I appreciate any help!!

Thanks!,

Patrick

Are you talking about the KTP-445 power pack? I had this same EXACT setup on my explorer. The TR7 should not wire into the power pack at all. Just the head unit. Wire up the TR7 to the head unit per the instructions without even having the power pack installed then when all wires are soldered/crimped, pull out the black plug and run the power pack in-line. Man I hope this makes sense. Lol.

EDIT: Also, I don't remember hooking up that many wires on mine. I want to say it was only three wires from the TR7, but I could be wrong. its been a while. I know they come programmed for alpine head units so I hooked mine up like the instructions said.

Edited by Rev. Wrath

I don't think I used an orange wire from the TR7 or the head unit. I DO remember there is a six pin molex connector on the back of the IXA-W404 that has I believe 2 wires coming out of it and I wired mine to that. IIRC the wire I used was the one marked REM. IN and I want to say it was white with a brown stripe or brown with a white stripe. Sorry, I hope I'm not confusing you more lol. It's been a while since I hooked it up and it's installed right now. I know this for sure, Black from the TR7 goes to Black on the vehicle adapter harness, Red on the TR7 goes to either Red or Yellow on the vehicle adapter harness (The way I understand is it doesn't matter which)

EDIT because it wouldn't let me finish typing.

Past that, I'd only be guessing. I just spliced the wires together exactly how the little orange (or yellow) card that came with it told me to. Did yours come with that card? I can't find mine right now, but mine was exact instructions on how to wire to an Alpine HU. Just wire it up according to that, and then hook up the power pack after that's all taken care of and you should be golden. If not, you may have a faulty TR7.

Edited by Rev. Wrath

thanks for the help, mine did come with instructions and i followed it exactly. except for the orange wire on the power pack. See I got my power pack off some idiot on craigslist that decided to snip the connector off one side of the power pack. I had to order the connector and solder all the wires from the power pack to the connector so thats why I hooked up some of the wires from the power pack to the TR-7. Im gonna try it the way you suggested and hook the TR-7 to all the wires on the other end. hopefully that fixes it. Its just a shame that theres not another way because its gonna take awhile to resolder :( lol... If anyone has any other ideas on how I can fix my setup please chime in!!

edit: I forgot to mention that I dont have any yellow/black wires to run to the tr-7. I think this might be because the guy who sold me the unit cut it off and forgot to give it to me. so all I have is the power pack connections and another wire harness that I ordered (which didnt come with a black/yellow wire. (I think I might have to order another wire harness :( )

Edited by ruchockey27