Sonic Electronix

yes you can "tune" a sealed box. read this http://www.bcae1.com/spboxad1.htm

different types of batteries:

an agm is a sealed type of battery that uses a type of gel to conduct electricity instead of sulfuric acid like regular wet cell batteries do. types of agm's are xs power, kinetik, shuriken, and optima batteries. most agm's can be tipped on their side or even used upside down.

wet cell is your standard walmart, sams club, autozone, oreillys battery. tilt it around and you can hear the sulfuric acid sloshing around. you might notice the 100 caution and death notices on the top of it. these batteries can only be used standing normally. tip them sideways and you're going to have a bad fucking time.

most agm's are deep cycle batteries. which means you can run them down to like 10v a bunch of times and they'll be perfectly fine once you charge them back up (red tops CANNOT do this, you'll render them useless). if you try to do the same thing with a wet cell, you'll eventually wear it out. i dont know the exact science as to why they go bad when you do this. i think its something to do with buildup on the plates

deep cycle batts can withstand the rapid discharge rate of most car audio systems and a bad tuning would be 80 hz, im tuned to 33 hz and i listen to all kinds of music from metal to rap to alternative and even dubstep and i love the way it sounds, if you play songs with lower frequencies then tune a lil lower and if your a mostly metal guy tune a little higher. read up on the subwoofer/enclosure forum to get a better understanding, and even check out the other members systems and see what u like best and what they thought. you just need to do the research.

yes you can "tune" a sealed box. read this http://www.bcae1.com/spboxad1.htm

different types of batteries:

an agm is a sealed type of battery that uses a type of gel to conduct electricity instead of sulfuric acid like regular wet cell batteries do. types of agm's are xs power, kinetik, shuriken, and optima batteries. most agm's can be tipped on their side or even used upside down.

wet cell is your standard walmart, sams club, autozone, oreillys battery. tilt it around and you can hear the sulfuric acid sloshing around. you might notice the 100 caution and death notices on the top of it. these batteries can only be used standing normally. tip them sideways and you're going to have a bad fucking time.

most agm's are deep cycle batteries. which means you can run them down to like 10v a bunch of times and they'll be perfectly fine once you charge them back up (red tops CANNOT do this, you'll render them useless). if you try to do the same thing with a wet cell, you'll eventually wear it out. i dont know the exact science as to why they go bad when you do this. i think its something to do with buildup on the plates

u can tune a sealed box for a flatter or sharper frequency response but u cant really tune for a specific frequency, good info tho, i prolly shouldve worded my response a little better lol

are there better tunings and worse, or its all reference. and why deep cell.

you tune to whatever music preference you listen to. however, there are some woofers that do not require to tune the box low, yet they will still play very low. like audioque woofers. recommended tuning for them is 35-37hz, yet in that box, they can drop to high 20's no problem.

a "general" tuning number is 35hz. its supposedly a balance between low and high bass notes. the lowest you should tune for a daily ride like yours is 28hz. anything lower than that and you'll start to lose significant high end authority. highest i would tune is 38. but like i said, it all depends on your listening preference.

but remember this, the lower the tuning, the better the low notes, but the quieter the high notes. same thing goes for a high tuning. higher notes will have more authority, but playing low notes wont work out so well. it will make the woofer essentially "free air". which means that the sub will act like its not even in a box and will start moving like crazy. you could damage a woofer doing that and you wont even hear any bass.

Archived