I was thinking of going to MT2 (Mobile Technical Training) in New Jersey to obtain my MECP and be certified for installations and mobile electronics. I love bass and wouldn't mind a better opportunity to expand further in this field. I have done a total of three installs so far and enjoy doing it very much. I havn't made any enclosures or anything of that nature but would love to learn that at MT2. I do have some questions and was wondering if anyone on here could give me some answers.

How much do you roughly make? How much could you make down the road?

Any details for this field would be great and thanks in advance!

I was offered a job at Frys as a installer, as long as i was certifed they said i would start at $11.75 an hour. This is more of a hobby for me though. I think it would kill it for me if i took it on as a daily job.

Try to get some more hands on experience , also stick around here. You can learn alot just from this forum.

Edited by RickyFriery97

2014 Chevy Silverado Crewcab

1994 Chevy Full Size blazer

Could you shoot me a rough estimate of round about what you could make? See the one thing that sucks about where I live is there are no places that do this around me except for the Best Buy that's 45 min away. So I would probably need to either relocate or give it a go around here

A guy I know makes $500 a week which works out to about $12.50 an hour for a 40 hour work week. So if Ricky was offered $11.75 and I say $12.50 you can guesstimate anywhere in between maybe as much as $15 an hour for being MECP certified but don't quote me on that.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

Most people don't do this to make a lot of money, but for the love of it. Just practice, practice, practice and the money will come.

EDIT: Also, Best Buy, etc care about all those certifications, a custom shop may not care at all and just want to see some work.

Edited by c.director

Ok, so not too bad for starting out then. I'm guessing after you have been at it for a while and know what your doing those numbers could jump a bit, correct?

Being good at it is one thing but if you have a talent people want to see those numbers could skyrocket. Have to find a niche, stick to it and become the best at it, being mediocre in the Car Audio business will get you no where. Money is in the custom work but a lot of shops don't see that much custom work it's more like hey I want some subs a stereo and a sealed enclosure.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

So in other words this wouldn't be anything to pursue as a career? I would really like to have one day opened a smaller shop and do work like this as a career and make a living off of it but from the sounds of it I might not go towards it.