Sundown Audio

What is a good amp to buy now

venturac

here is a pic of the amp i currently have. i don't know if it's outdated technology or what.

p1020642e.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nope, class AB is the old standart and sound better than class D. Class D is much more efficient than class AB, but have the touch to a thin hollow analytic sound. Class AB is still standart for mid´s and high´s.

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

That's a damn nice looking amp and chrome edition makes it even better to own, but i would get it up off the box so air can get under it for that extra bit of cooling but all class a/b amps tend to run much warmer than a class d will. Just don't run that thing less than 4ohm bridged or 2ohm stereo and they'll live long and happy lives but if you need more power than get a class d mono amp for sub duty and put that thing on front stage duty and you won't be disappointed.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

That's a damn nice looking amp and chrome edition makes it even better to own, but i would get it up off the box so air can get under it for that extra bit of cooling but all class a/b amps tend to run much warmer than a class d will. Just don't run that thing less than 4ohm bridged or 2ohm stereo and they'll live long and happy lives but if you need more power than get a class d mono amp for sub duty and put that thing on front stage duty and you won't be disappointed.

yea, there is one on eBay going for $600, the exact same one I have (http://www.ebay.com/itm/PPI21400-PPI-21400-Car-Amp-/220992749079?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item337431be17#ht_500wt_1361). It's a gorgeous amp. I think it gets hot because they are not as efficient as class d but also, like you said, it's not getting air underneath, and I'm running only 4 gauge power wire to it. Cheap wire I think. dBlink 4 gauge. Shit doesn't even look copper. I should have spent the money on good kicker 1/0 gauge wire.

I may do that, get a class d for subs and put that big ol' thing for running speakers up front.