BASIC SOUTHERN CORNBREAD

Country Style

2 cups of self-rising cornmeal <LI>2 eggs beaten <LI>2 cups buttermilk <LI>2 Tablespoons bacon drippings, melted, or veg. oil

<LI>Heat oven to 450 degrees. Grease your 9-inch skillet with about 2 tablespoon of shortening or oil (Use bacon drippings instead if available). Leave oil in bottom of pan... Place pan in oven to heat .... <LI>Combine cornmeal, 2 eggs, buttermilk, and the melted bacon drippings. Mix well. I find a whisk does this nicely. Pour into hot skillet. Batter will sizzle. <LI>Bake at 450 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Serves 6 to 8

Hint: Sprinkle a little cornmeal in the hot pan before adding the batter. It will brown and add a crispier texture.

If using plain cornmeal, add 2 teaspoons of

baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt for each cup of regular meal

Fried Cornbread

• 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • about 2 cups boiling water
    Mix cornmeal and salt together in large mixing bowl. Pour approximately 2 cups boiling water over dry ingredients. Mix well. After the mixture cools slightly, shape mixture into balls about the size of golf balls, one at a time. You must wet your hands with water before you make each ball. Flatten the ball with your fingers. Fry in skillet (preferably cast iron) with about 1/2 inch of hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Cornbread Cakes

<LI>1 cup self-rising cornmeal <LI>1 egg <LI>1 cup buttermilk Mix the ingredients and fry in a frying pan as you would pancakes. Turn only once, when brown on one side. Then flip to the other side. Will make about 8 cakes.

CRACKLIN' CORNBREAD

<LI>1/4 cup butter or margarine <LI>2 cups self-rising cornmeal <LI>1/2 cup all-purpose flour <LI>2 1/2 cups buttermilk <LI>2 large eggs, lightly beaten <LI>1 cup cracklings*

<LI>Place butter in a 9-inch cast iron skillet, and heat in a 425 degree oven 4 minutes. <LI>Combine cornmeal and flour in a large bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture. <LI>Stir together eggs, buttermilk and cracklings; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Pour over melted butter in hot skillet. <LI>Bake at 425 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. <LI>Yield 8 to 10 servings.

* 1 cup of cooked crumbled bacon ( 12 to 15 slices ) may be substituted for cracklings

UNCLE CHARLIES CORNBREAD

<LI>1 cup self-rising cornmeal <LI>1 cup cream style corn <LI>2 eggs, slightly beaten <LI>1/4 cup of veg. oil <LI>1 cup sour cream

<LI>Lightly grease 9 to 10 inch skillet. Place in 400 degrees oven until hot. <LI>Mix together all ingredients. <LI>Pour batter into hot pan and cook at 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to touch.

SOUTHERN SPOONBREADSpoonbread is a wonderful Southern side dish. Here is the casserole type dish. It can be served in place of , with ham and or instead of potatoes with steak. At first taste, you might confuse spoonbread with a grits casserole. The texture is similar. Below is the lighter, soufflé type dish.

<LI>2 cups milk <LI>1 cup water <LI>1 cup yellow cornmeal <LI>2 tablespoons butter or margarine <LI>1 teaspoon salt <LI>3 eggs

<LI>Combine first 5 ingredients; cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. <LI>Beat eggs at medium speed of an electric mixer until thick and lemon colored. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into eggs; add to remaining hot mixture stirring constantly. Pour into a lightly greased 1 1/2- quart casserole. <LI>Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean <LI>Yield: 6 servings.

Cheddar Spoonbread: Stir 1 1/2 cups ( 6 ounces ) shredded Cheddar cheese into mixture

after adding eggs.

Light Spoonbread

<LI>1 cup yellow cornmeal <LI>11/2 cups boiling water <LI>2 tablespoons butter plus extra for pan <LI>3 eggs, separated <LI>1 cup buttermilk <LI>1 teaspoon salt <LI>1 teaspoon baking powder <LI>1/4 teaspoon baking soda

<LI> Place cornmeal in bowl and pour boiling water over, stirring briskly so no lumps form. Add butter, egg yolks, buttermilk, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir until well blended.

<LI> Beat egg whites just until soft peaks form. Gently stir in 1/4 of whites into cornmeal mixture, then fold in remaining whites. Spoon into buttered 2-quart casserole.

<LI> Bake at 400 degrees until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Makes 6 servings.

OLD-FASHIONED CORNBREAD DRESSING

<LI>2 cups self-rising cornmeal <LI>2 eggs beaten <LI>2 cups buttermilk <LI>2 tablespoons bacon drippings, melted <LI>3 stalks celery, chopped <LI>1 medium onion, chopped <LI>1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted <LI>12 slices day old bread, crumbled <LI>2 to 2 1/2 cups turkey or chicken broth <LI>1 cup milk <LI>2 eggs, beaten <LI>1/4 teaspoon salt <LI>1 teaspoon poultry seasoning <LI>1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage <LI>1/4 teaspoon pepper

<LI>Combine cornmeal, 2 eggs, buttermilk, and melted bacon drippings, stirring well. <LI>Place a well-greased 10-inch cast iron skillet in a 450 degree oven for 4 minutes or until hot. Remove skillet from oven; spoon batter into skillet. Bake at 450 for 35 minutes or until cornbread is lightly browned. Cool; crumble cornbread into a large bowl. <LI>Saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add sautéed vegetables and remaining ingredients to crumbled cornbread, stirring well. Spoon dressing into a lightly greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes. <LI>Yield 8 servings.

<LI>HINT One ( 10 3/4 ounce ) can of chicken broth and 1 cup of water may be substituted for homemade chicken broth. ( It's best to use the broth from your turkey )

Dressing may be spooned into turkey cavity. Spoon any remaining dressing into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole; bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.

<A name="SOUTHERN GOLDEN HUSH">SOUTHERN GOLDEN HUSH PUPPIES

<LI>2 c. self-rising corn meal <LI>3/4 c. milk <LI>1 small onion, finely chopped <LI>1 egg, slightly beaten <LI>Dash of garlic powder <LI>Vegetable oil or shortening

<LI>Combine corn meal and onion and garlic powder. Add milk and egg stirring well. <LI>Carefully drop by tablespoon into deep hot 370 degrees oil. Cook only a few at a time, turning once. Fry until hush puppies are golden brown (3 to 5 minutes). <LI>Drain well on absorbent towels. Excellent when fried in the same oil that fish was fried in. <LI>Yields about 2 doz.

http://' target="_blank">Curing and Caring for a Cornbread Skillet

To cook good cornbread, you need a properly cured cast iron skillet. The proper preparation of the skillet is well worth the effort if you are going to do something as important as cooking cornbread. A properly cured skillet will not rust, and bread will not stick to its surface. This method may have been the inspiration for the later use of teflon.

CURING: Buy a good quality solid cast iron skillet which measures 9 inches across the top rim. Wash the skillet with plenty of warm water and a small amount of liquid soap. Rinse thoroughly under running water to remove all traces of the soap. Dry with clean paper towels and let stand until the skillet is completely dry. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees F. Using a basting brush, lightly and thoroughly cover all surfaces (including the handle) of the skillet with vegetable oil. Oil should not drip from the outside and must not form puddles on the inside of the skillet. Place the skillet in the oven for 5 - 7 hours. During this period, if any surface area appears to have dried up, brush on another light coat of oil. When the process is finished, inspect all surfaces to see if there is a light (usually brown colored) coat everywhere. If not, another curing is needed. With use, a properly cured skillet will develop a black sheen.

CARE: The skillet should never be used for anything except cooking cornbread. It should never be washed. After each use, clean it thoroughly with clean dry paper towels. Be careful to remove all excess cooking oil and any bread crumbs. Store in a dry place. If you wish, you may wrap the skillet in a clean dry towel. Before each use, oil the inside surface of the skillet thoroughly. Pre-heat the skillet. The cornbread batter should only be added to a hot skillet. Never cook acidic foods in you skillet. These foods will strip all of the seasoning from the pan....

IM A LOW LIFE SCAMMER SO I WAS BANT....TEH HAMMA is NOT my friend

I'm Layin claim on this thread..And I will go on the record. My wife makes the best Mexican cornbread in the world. And if you don't believe it Drive or fly down to Mississippi and try it for yourself..Period.. Tastes like cake son..

I'm Layin claim on this thread..And I will go on the record. My wife makes the best Mexican cornbread in the world. And if you don't believe it Drive or fly down to Mississippi and try it for yourself..Period.. Tastes like cake son..

please send some fed ex to my address :) or please pay for ticket and i will let me stomach me the judge :) heheh.. I love cornbread.. better have some NON hot chili to go with it.. i cant eat hot spicy things...

Ouchies

hehehe.. figure of speech... i dont wan tto big of girls, that i have to go get the flour to find the wet spot.. yanno what i mean.. i leave it at that :)

get some duct tape... tape one leg to one wall.. and then tape the other leg to the other wall. and dive in..

Man i dont see how you people can even eat cornbread. yuk

cornbread is like pooty... just kinda dig in and eat it :)

depends on how you make cornbread will decide on if you like it or not... how it made, presented, if it tastes the same hot as it does cold.. lots of stuff mang :)