97 Toyota Tercel 2 12 MTX JH5512-4 Hifonics BRZ1200.1d

Hey SMD members :) This is my first post, and my system's no where near amazing by any means but it is my first one. :)

It consists of:

Alpine CDE-122 Head Unit

Polk DXi525 (5 1/4) x2

Polk DXi650 (6 1/2) x 2

Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1d

MTX Jackhammer JH5512-4 x2

Streetwire Capacitor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAB8n0Op_u4

Here's it playing Big Sean - Ass

Any suggestions, give me your opinion on the hifonics gain knob, i've got mixed emotions about it. I'm thinking about upping the subs to T6-12's, I'm wanting a ported box, but my trunk is too damn small. :[

Welcome to the SMD forum :D

Nice setup for being your 1st

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Hmm, you say want a ported box, but you don't have enough airspace for 2 12's ported

Well, since I've been looking at them for ideas, check out the Skar VVX-12, they only need 1.75 cu ft each after sub displacement for ported, and you can power 2 of them fine with that Hifonics.

There's other companies you can check out also.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

I've never heard about Skar before, what's their quality comparable to in terms of another company? I was thinking about Soundstream and just keeping a sealed box, just for the simple fact of having 500 more RMS per sub. :)

But then again the whole point of the ported box was that I figured if I ported it to 33-35 hz it would generally hit every range better. I just want to have have balanced SQ throughout the low hertz, and not have 45 hz sound the loudest.

Edited by Landon22

Two things I'd lose if I were you... the cap and the sealed box.

Trading the cap for a battery might seem like you're spending more money, but in reality you're saving yourself from buying a new alternator a lot sooner than you planned. Also, building a ported box is an easy way to an extra 3-5 db

bass knob where it is is just fine, all of this is IMO

Skar > MTX tho

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Two things I'd lose if I were you... the cap and the sealed box.

Trading the cap for a battery might seem like you're spending more money, but in reality you're saving yourself from buying a new alternator a lot sooner than you planned. Also, building a ported box is an easy way to an extra 3-5 db

bass knob where it is is just fine, all of this is IMO

Skar > MTX tho

hah, i actually moved the bass knob to right under my miles, because it's a lot easier to adjust while riding. and Yeah, I'm going to take measurements of my trunk again and see what can be done.

i am sure I could build more and just make a weird box design but getting it into the trunk is hard. lol, that sealed box was hard to put in. the back is more narrow than the front (a lot of trunks are obviously) so that's the only problem with building the box, we have to make the depth a lot more than the width.

flare ports or rectangular? or does it just depend.

lastly, it wasn't my idea for the cap,i got it for christmas from my dad because he got a deal with it with the 2 jack hammers. i want a new alternator.

Only company I can think of that they can compare to is Sundown, which is another good brand, very popular here on the forums.

You can ask the SkarAudio rep, or Chillmasterwill about the subs since they actually use them, while me, I'm just looking and researching about the VVX, and since I know that they don't need that much air space, thought I would tell you about them so you can have 2 12's ported in a Tercel.

Though I heard good things about Soundstream too

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Sell the cap. get bigger wire and do the big 3. Do this and you won't need an alt so soon. Don't do an alternator without doing these first anyway.

I like slot ports but flares are nice too. If you provide your measurements there are a lot of people who will design a box for you on SMD...

But you're a lot better off than some of the builds on here :) Welcome to the forum BTW

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Omega, so you're saying that Skar/Sundown are basically the 2 best? I mean I wanted some DD's, then I wanted some Soundstreams. I'm looking into Skars now :) I'm definitely doing my next box ported even if I have no trunk room. I can just make an extremely deep box xD

Srp, thanks. :) I'll probably end up saving up my next two or three paychecks and doing the big 3 upgrade, most of my wires are pretty big. and just keep the cap for the future. and yeah, I'm also gonna ask another question lmao. Is Polyfill better than cotton? or is cotton pointless in your box? I have some cotton in my box cause my dad threw it in when we built the box. :P