1994 Ford F350 CC BLOW THROUGH - DC and Soundstream

Got myself a new battery tender

DSC05996.jpg

Voltage after letting it sit a bit

DSC05997.jpg

And after over night sitting. Still needs more charging time. Just don't have any right now.

DSC05998.jpg

Some daytime pics of the new wiring. Not as nice, but it never is when you have to change things out. Oh well

DSC05999.jpg

DSC06000.jpg

DSC06001.jpg

Gain only about 60-65% up

DSC06002.jpg

DSC06003.jpg

Little video.

th_MOV06004.jpg

That's it, I'm off for a little camping trip! See you all in a few days!

To comment or see the behind the scenes chatter, hit up my build log linked in my signature. Thanks for stopping by!

Ok so just a little update. It's a short week for me, today and tomorrow, then I'm off on Wednesday and leave for Idaho to float down a river for a week. Then I get home on August 2nd and shit is gonna hit the fan.

First things first, I have zero expectations for SOTM. I've got 2 votes thus far and I'm one of them. Not a big deal. Cause when I'm done, I'm hoping that I'll get tons more than 2 votes.

Next thing. My daughters had their cousins over for a sleepover on Saturday night. 4 girls in one place, NOT FUN!!! Glad i stopped at 2! Anyway, we decided to take them all to see Ice Age 3,452, or whatever it is they're up to now, and figured it was going to be my first chance to try out the Soundstream Pro Mid and Bullet Tweet on the amp. So when we got there I had my wife take the kiddo's to the bounce house and snack bar and I got it all hooked up. Man, I have to say this, I CANNOT WAIT TO GET THESE THINGS IN THE DOORS! DAMN! They were soo clear and crisp, and I didn't even turn them up all the way, out of respect for everyone else around us. So to my surprise when my wife came back she said, was that you that was playing Dave Matthews so loud? I said, ummmmm maybe! They were like 150' away and heard it like they were standing right there. NICE!! So for those of you wondering, yes they're good drivers! Still wondering about them vs the Crescendo's but for now I'll stick with these!

Next up, I'm contemplating something and I'm going to just go for it and see what happens. I have these two DC M2 8's, and those were what I was going to use for my mid bass, if you will recall. Iv'e decided to change it up a little bit. I designed a little box for the center console last week, and this is what it looks like:

Without top:

Front

BasicSealedEnclosureFront.jpg

Rear

BasicSealedEnclosureRear.jpg

Side

BasicSealedEnclosureSide.jpg

Then with the top

BasicSealedEnclosureWithTopFront.jpg

BasicSealedEnclosureWithTopRear.jpg

BasicSealedEnclosureWithTopSide.jpg

The angle up front is so the subs would be down and a little tucked away, cause if I ever have anyone sitting there I don't want to worry about kicking feet or anything like that. It measures out to about 1.4 cu ft after displacement, and is sealed. I'll pad the top with memory foam so it's nice and soft should anyone ever have to sit there.

But then after looking at it, I decided it just looked really crammed in there. So I decided I may go with a single DC Lvl 4 10 for the mid bass. This is the design I did first. Same box as the 8's except I changed the face plate and made it a 10". To account for the space differences I decided to countersink the faceplate into the enclosure and make up the difference. Currently 1.4cu ft, and the 10 sealed requirement is .75 cu ft. Add in the displacement and I'm at about .91 cu ft total. SO I need to eliminate about .45 - .5 cu ft.

BasicSealedEnclosurefor10straighton.jpg

BasicSealedEnclosurefor10.jpg

Then I realized a problem while playing with it.

The problem is that it's too short. I had it built at 11" tall for the 8's cause that's the height of the current seat. So now I'd have to do some adjusting for the new height of the sub. The outer sub width is 11". So I'll have to go taller. This is what I came up with to deal with that.

To solve this, I decided to just use the original design and sink the sub baffle back a bit.

You can see from the pics above, there's a bottom lip. It can be eliminated and the baffle can go down to cover it. That would buy me about 3/4". You can see that here.

BasicSealedEnclosurefor10bfront.jpg

BasicSealedEnclosurefor10b.jpg

What you also see, is that at the top, the outer part of the sub will hit the top plate. So the whole enclosure will need to raise up about an inch total, that will give me some space off the floor on the bottom and the top and the top plate will still serve it's purpose. I only add an inch to the center seat and I think it will work out just fine.

So that's where I'm at. I wanted to start on the doors next, when I get back, but with the issues about the rear seat being too far forward, I think this is more important.

My 1.2500D is packaged up and ready to ship back. That should be done soon too!

I also have another design for my sub amps up my sleeve, thanks Twostrokeking! I'll reveal that soon.

So when I come back from vacation, this will be going on, then after that, the sub enclosure will be full on! Lots to do, amp racks to build, doors to build, and more. SOoooooo much coming soon!

Be on the lookout for a trade thread for 2 DC M2 D2 8's for a single DC D2 level 3 or 4 10. If you have one hit me up.

Here you guys go. Final 4th order design for 4 DC Audio M2 Dual 2ohm 12's. 1.05 cu ft sealed per sub and that's after the cut out for the latches, 2.34 cu ft ported after displacement, and tuned to 52hz to start off.

Sealed

FinalEnclosureSealed.jpg

Ported

FinalEnclosurePorted.jpg

Outside front, this is the cabin side with the port. So port will go through the back wall.

Final4thOrderEnclosureRevisedFront.jpg

Port view, this is what you'd see if you stared through the port in through the back wall.

Final4thOrderEnclosureRevisedPortView.jpg

This is the back of the box. Remember I said there was a problem cause of the latches and they needed to be accounted for. Well this is about what needs to be taken out. It equals out to about .07 cu ft of displacement.

Final4thOrderEnclosureRevisedRearwLatchCutout.jpg

Here's from the top with the top hidden. I love this pic!

Final4thOrderEnclosureRevisedTopHiddenFront.jpg

Final4thOrderEnclosureRevisedTopHidden.jpg

This is from the back side.

Final4thOrderEnclosureRevisedTopHiddenRear.jpg

The subs will be mounted from the ported side inverted so the motors will be accessible and I can smell if there's any trouble. I'll also get some all thread in there between the sections so that it'll be nice and strong. Forgot to put those in.

Now all that's left is to get home from vacation, get some wood, and get started. Still trying to decide between MDF and Birch. I think for the extra money, I'll go Birch. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Check out my build log linked in my signature for all the behind the scenes chatter and to comment on this build! Thanks for tuning in!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I've gotten the designs done, and I will be getting started on this box in the next couple weeks. I've decided to just jump into the sub enclosure instead of waiting. Although I only have 1 amp at the moment. Subs should be here in a week or so. But in the meantime, here are the designs.

Ported.

PortedTorres.jpg

Sealed

SealedTorres.jpg

Sub Baffles. I decided to go ahead and do a quad baffle. This was what I originally did, but this wasn't going to work cause the port will be in the way. You'll see in a minute.

Baffles.jpg

With the sides

OuterBaffles.jpg

Now the port! Here's where you see, the port is in the cutouts, so they had to be spread out a bit.

Port.jpg

Like this. I actually messed up on this design, cause I have the counter sunk baffle on the wrong side. You see it here, and it needs to be on the other side, which is the ported side, because the subs will be inverted. So it doesn't do me any good to have it on this side. So when I build it I'll change it then.

NewSubPlacement.jpg

Got some color in there. I decided that I wanted the inside of the box to continue wit the theme of the rest of the system which is a grey blue color (amps) and silver or white, and black as well. So that's how I got the color scheme.

Coloredfront.jpg

Colored.jpg

Then I put a top on it.

WithTop.jpg

A look through the port! I have a nice surprise for this! I just couldn't draw it in there right. Still learning Sketch up!

PortView.jpg

And finally the sexi plexi! This is what you'll see when you open the lid of the truck box.

WithTopandGlassback.jpg

And from the other side.

WithTopandGlass.jpg

So what I was thinking about for the sub amps was this. I'm not sure I can do it, but I'd love to be able to get those on the under side of the lid of the truck box. It would be soo sweet to be able to do it. I have the width, and the depth, but I don't think I have the height. My other issue would be ventilation. I don't see how I could possibly keep it cool in there. SO that may be a no go. Probably stick with the back wall.

So that's it for now. Once I get some money flowing in again in the next week or so, I'll get some wood and get this party started! Stay tuned!

If you'd like to comment or just see what's going on behind the scenes, check out my build log which is linked in my signature. Thanks for checking in!

Not much to report at the moment. No real updates, except my equipment I just got! Thanks Jonathan! You da man!

Quick pics!

One of two and a mysterious box!

IMG_20120816_114838.jpg

Comparison. DC XL 15 and a DC Lvl 3 10

IMG_20120816_114933.jpg

All together now!

IMG_20120816_115011.jpg

Cannot WAIT, to get some building done! Soon!

• 1 month later...

Ok here goes! Check this out!

Got the Box out and prepped it up! This has to be done before anything else can be built inside of it or for it. Some different views.

DSC06023.jpg

DSC06024.jpg

DSC06025.jpg

Got it tapped up and then drew my line. I decided on a 1/2", but I probably should've gone more like 1". Oh well.

DSC06026.jpg

DSC06027.jpg

DSC06028.jpg

DSC06029.jpg

Now, on the back of the truck is not a bad place to do it, however, it's just too tall. So I decided to put it on some sawhorses to bring it down more to my level. This does tell me, however, that when this is all said and done, I'll be able to load it into the truck pretty easily from the saw horses! But, that won't be for a while I'm sure!

DSC06030.jpg

DSC06031.jpg

Now it's time for some fun! Safe fun, but fun! Got the gloves, got the safety glasses, don't need any metal in the eyes. And then the good ole trusty bosch grinder! This is a good tool!

DSC06033.jpg

Then fun ensued, and this was the result!

DSC06034.jpg

Let me give you a little tip if you've never done this, as I hadn't! WEAR LONG SLEEVES AS WELL AS GLOVES AND GLASSES!! Anyway, moving on, here's what we were after!

DSC06035.jpg

Got some jagged edges that need addressing

DSC06036.jpg

DSC06037.jpg

DSC06038.jpg

Little look at the amount of space I'm working with.

Depth

DSC06039.jpg

Width

DSC06040.jpg

Couldn't really get a good measurement on the height cause the centers bow a bit. So it's basically about 17 3/4" tall.

Then I got the grinder again with a grinding wheel this time, and cleaned up the edges! Burrs are gone!

DSC06041.jpg

Tried to get a sight down pic to show the line, but it isn't real clear.

DSC06042.jpg

Another pic with the smoothed edges.

DSC06043.jpg

Then I decided that i still had some time before the family gets home, I thought I'd cut some wood! Love the smell of fresh cut wood! Especially Birch!

DSC06044.jpg

Got my measurement for the bottom panel. This needs a couple angle cuts, which happen to be 45's. So I got my straight edge out, and measured it out. I need a final of 25" for my depth. Let's get to cutting!

DSC06045.jpg

Yep, that'll do! Not bad with a straight edge and a hand saw! No table saw used here!

DSC06046.jpg

Now for a little test fit. This is a little deceiving because of the bow in the middle. I pushed on it and laid it down and it fits perfectly. There is a little issue though. That is that I'm putting deadener on the inside of this box, between it and the enclosure, so I'll need to account for that. But I think it'll be fine.

DSC06047.jpg

So that's what I got done tonight! I'm gonna see if I can get a couple things done here and there and get this thing built. We all know though, just building the enclosure is not the end of it. Lots of glasswork, and other odds and ends that need to be done.

So, just as a refresher, this is what's going in:

DC Audio XL 15's

DSC06048.jpg

And this is what they're going in, what I'm building now:

WithTopandGlass.jpg

More to come! Thanks for tuning in!

For behind the scenes talk and other stuff, check out my build log which is linked in my signature! Thanks!

So last I left off, I had cut the bottom board of the enclosure. But in order to really get this thing off the ground I had to get the back wall done. That would allow me to get the whole thing built out of the box, instead of going back and checking measurements and this and that. SO, that's what I got accomplished today.

Problem was, I didn't exactly have the tools to do it. I'm doing a roofing job and my saw is up at the job which is 45 minutes away. So in order to not just waste the time I have, I decided to improvise! NOT ADVISED, but you can do it. Just not the safest way to do it.

Got out the ole trusty Ridigd portable table saw. Obviously some of it is easy to do, but it's the freehand cuts that become a little more dangerous! Oh and Grace my boxer out to help!

DSC06049.jpg

Ready to cut my piece. This was left over from the last time but it just needs a little trim to make it correct size.

DSC06050.jpg

My French Bull Dog peaking out to attack Grace before I get busy! Also, not safe!

DSC06051.jpg

See the little 5" slice in the back, that's what was cut off!

DSC06052.jpg

Nice!

DSC06053.jpg

Forgot to take pics of the next one but I had to free hand that one at 63 1/2". Within a 1/16" I think is ok at this point. I'll get it closer when I get more time and my skill saw.

DSC06054.jpg

Next I cut the angles freehand. These were a little rougher! But it will work!

DSC06055.jpg

Picture of the back wall and the bottom plate in the box just sitting there. Not a good pic. The picture is correct, but the box is on it's side.

DSC06058.jpg

view with the lid open

DSC06059.jpg

So that's about it. I redid the number on the updated version of Torres and it was a bit off. Made some adjustments and I'm back on track. Not much going at a time, matter of fact at this rate I may be done cutting pieces by Christmas! LOL! No really! But I have to make the best of the time I have.

That's it for tonight! Thanks!

As always feel free to comment or check out my build log linked in my signature for the behind the scenes chatter and bs.

Archived