As some of you may know, I purchased an Audiopipe APSM-1500 based on several variables (the reviews from a former SMD member on CACO, the price, the budget-power quality of Audiopipe's AP series, which I have owned). I gave it a go for my build. I bought mine via private party on CACO as well.

First thoughts:

- This amp is TINY. When they add the SM (could mean SMall, or SeriouslyMini, I don't know :lol: ), they weren't lying.

- A tough little case as well, very robust and definitely feels like a good quality case.

I was so impressed already (especially for the already low price, $125 new @ VMI, but mine was obviously used), that I wanted to get it out and fire it up and do some free air testing. Wired at .5 ohms, this little amp held it's own ('till my voltage dropped too low :lol: I was using 4 gauge wire and stock electrical, not a smart idea...)

Got the box built, and hooked the subs up (after bracing was finished), and took it for a drive. WOW! Not only did the SA8's sound good, they sounded EXTREMELY clean (again, 'till voltages dropped). Wired it to 2 ohms, and the subs were still loud, but not as much low end response. Even then, it was an impressive little amp. The fan is definitely a bit noisier than I thought, but hey, nothing's perfect.

Pros: Small, lightweight but rugged case, nice connections, easily viewable gain/frequency settings, !!! PRICE !!! (as stated, $125 new IIRC from VMI)

Cons: The fan, & heat buildup <1 ohm (expected from a 1 ohm stable amp)

Quick video of the amplifier in action at .5 ohms (the amp does drop out, once again from low voltage)

POTATO!

theyre protection circuit isnt all that good, i had one and hooked it up to my pioneer and didnt check the resistance(turned out to be .2 ohms due to an internal short) b4 i turned it on and got to about half volume and it completely fried my amp it never went into protect just a loud pop some crackling and a shit ton of smoke i can take pics of the damage if requested but i gave up on it , i dont like the idea of an amp that small cuz its a lot more difficult to dissipate heat with a heatsink that small

theyre protection circuit isnt all that good, i had one and hooked it up to my pioneer and didnt check the resistance(turned out to be .2 ohms due to an internal short) b4 i turned it on and got to about half volume and it completely fried my amp it never went into protect just a loud pop some crackling and a shit ton of smoke i can take pics of the damage if requested but i gave up on it , i dont like the idea of an amp that small cuz its a lot more difficult to dissipate heat with a heatsink that small

Mine seems to be working fine. Was yours used or new?

POTATO!

Well not to be a dick about it or anything but it's not really the amps fault.. You did have it wired to .2 ohms

I've gotten a blowjob and picked up my iphone behind her back to see what email notification I got from smd before

Well not to be a dick about it or anything but it's not really the amps fault.. You did have it wired to .2 ohms

i never said it wasnt my fault, i will def check impedance next time lol, but it shouldve gone into protect not instantly fry, all im trying to say is dont rely on its protection circuit but other than that theyre pretty goodl

Yeah I'm tuned in to see what it does clamped

I've gotten a blowjob and picked up my iphone behind her back to see what email notification I got from smd before

Archived