Balance; equal pathlengths vs image height

I've always thought equal pathlengths were the way to go and in a car, that typically means kickpanels.

But it seems image/soundstage height might be even more difficult to overcome; how do you find the balance? I see a lot of you guys run tweets and/or small mids in the a-pillars but those are not nearly as equidistant as in the kicks.

Just throwing ideas around to help my SQ clarity.

Big 3 with 1/0 welding cable, dual runs of 1/0 and 2gua F-R

DD 2512 D2 powered by Audioque 1200d at 1ohm, 2.5ft^3 ported to 36Hz

Boston SX 6.0 comps powered by Phoenix Gold M50 for front stage

Silver Flute 8" midbass in doors powered by Alpine 3539

Alpine CDA-117 HU

A lot of it depends on the car that you are working with. A lot of times kick panel mounting is a great way to go, my front stage is in the kicks i have a very wide stage width my height is right on top of the dash the only thing i lack a little of is overall depth. the first thing you need to do is measure from your listening position the distance between the kick panels and your head then measure the distance between the a pillars and your head and figure out which will be closest in path length. Remember aiming is going to be key either way you go and get a good signal processor with time alignment.

• 2 weeks later...

In my application, the stock door locations worked better for me than using my midbass drivers in the kick pannels ...

The stock door locations gave me better width and can handle more lower end music without venting through the back of the fenders, which is something I was not going to do to a every day driven truck subject to water and mud ...

My tweeter in the a-pillars blend in very well with the door drivers ... together, makes very good left and right separation ...

the tweeters are angled for best sound in a 2 seat judged vehicle, and so are the door mid bass drivers ...

My rears are installed to compliment the stage width making it easier for the front stage to work with a good center presence ...

The center channel is there to help out with center most of the time, and for watching movies ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch