Sonic Electronix

free-air, it is easy to have a sub reach it's limits a lot easier than in a box, for that matter I had my dual 4 s15L7 free air wired at 8 ohms when I first got it wired to a home audio amp and I could get it to get to full excursion at less than half volume, probably only giving it 50 watts, so... you might have just been pushing it too hard, I'd suggest not doing anything free-air... wait on the box

x2....you can burn them real quick that way.

smd2.gif

2002 nissan frontier crewcab

eclipse cd2000

mb quart prem's fr&rear

rf p4004

I get a burning smell from my 2 l7 subs after they play around 30 min. I think it's just the voice coils heating up.

Oh ok. So free air=bad lol. Yeah, my 12 L5 had some mad excursion. Alright thanks guys. I feel a lot better now.

2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition:

Alpine CDA 9883

2x 18" DC lvl 4 D2

10.7 cu ft box 33hz

knu 1/0 wire

amp: Kicker ZX2500.1

Kinetik

tatoosmall2.jpg

banner2.jpg

i have kinda of expierienced that not so good smell with my 12" L5. im not sure if its from my sub though, like when i listen to hypnotize at like 27 which is usually the limit for most songs for my volume, like i have smelled my amp and nothing and i try smelling air from the port on my box but still doesnt really smell, i was gonna ask a while ago but then forgot to