Second Skin Audio

Does this seem right?

i had a buddy who has been building great systems for many years help me build a box for my 15s. and this is what he came up with.

945f29ea.jpg

port is 6in wide and 18.5in tall. the box is already built and playing in my truck and this is using exact measurements on sketchup.

I just thought that if you split the port than each side would be half the total at the exit. also another thing is i think the port is too big because if i jam on it for a few min i can start to smell them and they get warm. i am 100% sure its not clipping ( dd-1 says so ) im just trying to figure out if 3rd times the charm cause this is my second box that does less than expected.

03 tahoe z71

4 death penalty 18s

2 ampere audio 3800s @ .5 each

18v

156.7 @ 35hz

158.5 @ 50hz

You're right, each side should be half of the width of the vertical part.

Which track did you use when setting your gains?

I could be wrong, but I don't think your port can cause smelly coils. Your box can only control what your subs are doing mechanically, but your subs are producing too much heat, so it has to be either clipping or overpowering. Again, could be wrong.

Edited by LZTYBRN

it was either the -10db or -15db track. i did it just like steve showed it in the video using the dd-1 with a line driver so i think it was -15db. funny thing is i metered today with an audiocontrol meter and i know their a little off of a term lab but i did a 142.6db @ 50hz sealed on the dash and i knew something didnt seem right. but i felt a little better when we metered a dakota with 4 audiopipe 15s in a wall thats a sealed box on a 3000watt amp and he did a 139db @ 45hz sealed on dash.

03 tahoe z71

4 death penalty 18s

18v

156.7 @ 35hz

158.5 @ 50hz

it was either the -10db or -15db track. i did it just like steve showed it in the video using the dd-1 with a line driver so i think it was -15db. funny thing is i metered today with an audiocontrol meter and i know their a little off of a term lab but i did a 142.6db @ 50hz sealed on the dash and i knew something didnt seem right. but i felt a little better when we metered a dakota with 4 audiopipe 15s in a wall thats a sealed box on a 3000watt amp and he did a 139db @ 45hz sealed on dash.

I don't know about a line driver, but you're generally supposed to use the -5db or even 0 to be safe.

i might try them tomorrow and see if it helps but all i know is i hate going down the road making people look and then having to turn it down because i can smell them

03 tahoe z71

4 death penalty 18s

18v

156.7 @ 35hz

158.5 @ 50hz

Some of the worst scores ive seen come from walls with to many subs in sealed boxes.

I knew a dude that put 8 12"s in a wall in sealed seperate chamber boxes, he couldn't break 148-149 db. Thats not right.

XS-power1.jpg

I had somewhat of the same problem with my last box, in the sense that I didn't think about the port being split down the middle. Like was said above, the width of that section along the back wall should be half the width of the main port section. I think it might also help to have a piece of wood with 45s back there to help direct the air out of the port as well.

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

Yeah I might just have to try my luck at doing another box but this time changing up the port somehow. Its "supposed" to be tuned around 40-42hz but I dont think it is. It just doesnt sound like its tuned to that. And the truck peaked at 50hz on the meter so I know its not right.

03 tahoe z71

4 death penalty 18s

18v

156.7 @ 35hz

158.5 @ 50hz