Second Skin Audio

fiberglass reinforcement

i dont think you understand where some items are strong and where they are weak. a metal band wont do anything over the long spans across the box. it will only put pressure on the edges. try making a 3 layer strip of fiberglass as long as the longest panel in your box. see how much it bends. i had the same idea when i was starting to get into audio. ive been there, i know. keep it simple and just put in a brace. a simple dowel will do as much if not more than all that fiberglass. it doesnt have to be as complex as you think.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

i dont think you understand where some items are strong and where they are weak. a metal band wont do anything over the long spans across the box. it will only put pressure on the edges. try making a 3 layer strip of fiberglass as long as the longest panel in your box. see how much it bends. i had the same idea when i was starting to get into audio. ive been there, i know. keep it simple and just put in a brace. a simple dowel will do as much if not more than all that fiberglass. it doesnt have to be as complex as you think.

I agree steel bands would not work on a box.

I'm not working on a simple project.

I was just trying to find some sort of answer to my original question.

From random internet research i've found that I will be ok with the 3 thick layers I've applied.

Edited by purplesyrup
XS-power1.jpg

How many layers of glass would you use to reinforce 3/4 inch mdf to make it strong enough to eliminate any flex or vibration?

None. If your enclosure is flexxing that bad, you built it incorrectly. And I'm trying to decide if you use the term fiberglassing correctly or loosely...what do your three layers consist of? Too often people are pouring resin over and thinking this is somehow strengthening the enclosure. Skittles is pretty much all.over this one.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

How many layers of glass would you use to reinforce 3/4 inch mdf to make it strong enough to eliminate any flex or vibration?

None. If your enclosure is flexxing that bad, you built it incorrectly. And I'm trying to decide if you use the term fiberglassing correctly or loosely...what do your three layers consist of? Too often people are pouring resin over and thinking this is somehow strengthening the enclosure. Skittles is pretty much all.over this one.

Everyone is really going around the actual question I asked. I'm purposly not telling you why i'm doing the things im doing. Opinions or guidance on box building is not needed here.

I just wanted to know the answer to the question.

My enclosure is not flexing, there is not even a sub mounted in it or a bottom on it. The reason i'm doing what i'm doing is to make this enclosure as strong as possible. My fiberglass layers consist of woven fiberglass cloth. I cut the cloth into 4 inch strips and resined around the inside enclosure horizontally slightly overlapping each other. then once set up and tacky added 4" strips vertically slightly overlapping, then another layer added horizontally,.again slightly overlapping. There was no "just pour it in there involved. And I layed the glass in the strongest pattern I found through research.

I was just trying to figure out what you guys would do to mdf to make it perform better in a high pressure situation, I want this enclosure to perform as the sub is mounted in a concrete box, its pretty much there.

Edited by purplesyrup
XS-power1.jpg

No one has avoided your question. Notice the first word in my response. I get it, you know what you're doing. Good luck

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

This