Second Skin Audio

fiberglass reinforcement

hahahaha, your making a barrel into a speaker enclosure? thats pretty funny. i wonder how well the side of the barrel will hold its seal when its being vibrated.

how do you put the bottom on once your done?

Edited by skittlesRgood

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

hahahaha, your making a barrel into a speaker enclosure? thats pretty funny. i wonder how well the side of the barrel will hold its seal when its being vibrated.

how do you put the bottom on once your done?

All the boards are gorilla glued then fiberglassed together. the steel rings will stop any outward flex completely. they are strong as hell to begin with, gotta remember this is made out of 3/4 solid oak, not mdf or layers, the baffle is 1.5" thick solid oak with some layers of glass. I mentioned MDF in my first post just to get an idea of what it would take, then when I applied that to solid oak it would for sure be as strong as possible.. the bottom will be screwed into each board then properly fiberglassed in to make the barrel and bottom one. I've got nearly 5 nights worth of trial and error paperwork on the build, not something you can just slap together. took me 2 nights to figure out how to port was going to work due to space issues. after all displacement I will be at 2.9 cu ft. with 39.25 square inches of port in an enclosure that is as solid as concrete, proper vent mach for the best "loading" posible due to the angle and alignment the box will be positioned.

I'm a wine rep, i need something practical for my job so here it is. the trunk will be furnished with earthquake proof wine racks and a tile floor. I have to have wine with me everywhere I go.

theres much more to it than what i've explained, but its going to be interesting, so stay tuned. completion all depends on how long it takes for DD to get the sub here.

Edited by purplesyrup
XS-power1.jpg

that barrel is going inside your trunk? lol this will be interesting. take lots of pics for a build log.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

that barrel is going inside your trunk? lol this will be interesting. take lots of pics for a build log.

I unlocked the youtube videos, and the build log is going up in the members rides section now titled "bass tasting"

And yes its going in the trunk, it sits in the spare tire well and will be angled back.

Edited by purplesyrup
XS-power1.jpg

you going to put a wine refrigerator in there too?

no wonder you got the responses that you did. The original question was " How many layers of glass would you use to reinforce 3/4 inch mdf to make it strong enough to eliminate any flex or vibration?" now we see that your using a round barrel.

asking how many layers to use to reinforce 3/4 mdf which is flat is not even relevant to what you are doing. Everyone suggested alternatives that would have been appropriate based on the question you asked.

no wonder you got the responses that you did. The original question was " How many layers of glass would you use to reinforce 3/4 inch mdf to make it strong enough to eliminate any flex or vibration?" now we see that your using a round barrel.

asking how many layers to use to reinforce 3/4 mdf which is flat is not even relevant to what you are doing. Everyone suggested alternatives that would have been appropriate based on the question you asked.

I know thats why I went a head and cleared it up.

XS-power1.jpg