Alpine 7-band EQ! Model # 3214

Digging around in my fathers garage I found this old EQ. I was thinking about buying a new one, but I figured I would try this one first if I can get some help figuring it out.

It's an Alpine 3214 7-Band Graphic Equalizer. I realize that I won't be able to run my RCA's through it, but my cheap JVC HU only has a rear/sub out, which i'm not worried about running through the EQ. My speakers sound like shit because the HU puts too much bass into them so this EQ should help right?

On to the problem: I have no idea how to hook it up. My phone won't let me upload pictures, Ill try tomorrow. It has a blue connector that says ALPINE on it. Its round and has 7 holes for pins in a circle, one slot, and a hole in the middle. There is a rectangular white connector coming out of the other side with 8 pins and a separate black wire. The colors on the 8 wires are yellow, orange, purple, white, grey, red, blue, and green.

Any advice would be much appreciated! I'll let you guys know how it turns out and I'll upload pics of it tomorrow.

~~Luke

Current System:

Clarion CZ702

Stock 5 channel amplifier

Infinity Reference 4022i 4"

GRS 6.5"

Audiopipe 1800.1

2 RE Audio SEX V2's In a 4th order ported though the armrest

2003 130 Amp Toyota Highlander alternator

what you have is an equalizer/amplifier my guess that the purple green white and grey wires are your speaker output and that the speakers negative might get wired to ground if there aren't any wires for speakers negative . due to it's age i would expect the power output to be less than your jvc hu .

your problem with your hu putting out too much bass and distorting your speakers , i would try turning down the bass first if you have the loudness on , turn it off , or maybe you are due to upgrade these speakers , the eq/amp might help just from having lower wattage , you could cut the lows on the eq as well .might just be fun to play around with a piece of vintage equipment

Edited by b-dubs89

Sounds like it has a "din" plug on it. I don't know anyone that uses these any more. Old kenwood stuff used it for line out/line in guess alpine did too. You could get one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bang-Olufsen-1-foot-7-Pin-Din-Plug-2-RCA-Jacks-Audio-Cable-BO-402-/280757631233#ht_589wt_1165

and try to hook it to your stereo, but that thing is from the 80's and like b-dubs said it's probably an amplifier too. here is a pic of the adapter but it's no guarantee it will match the wiring of your e.q.

$(KGrHqV,!q8E-ZPC)TqEBPms(yoC!w~~60_57.JPG

Home from work! Time for some pictures! If it is an amplifier/equalizer it would still be fun to get hooked up and working. I'm kinda disappointed in my 5.25" Infinity Reference speakers in my doors. I figured they would be better sounding and handle more. With the HU at flat with no loudness or boost they sound like shit. but that's for another post.

I'm wondering if I would be able to just cut the blue plug off and splice wires from my HU into the ends.

srByw.jpg Front of the 3214

qxvBj.jpg Blue Round Plug

qKLNH.jpg White Rectangular Plug

BWZ7L.jpg Information sticker

BTW: Thanks for the responses guys!

Current System:

Clarion CZ702

Stock 5 channel amplifier

Infinity Reference 4022i 4"

GRS 6.5"

Audiopipe 1800.1

2 RE Audio SEX V2's In a 4th order ported though the armrest