Second Skin Audio

honeslty i have experience with them..shit just 2 weeks ago i made a box for a customer for a 12" re xxx..

by FAR the hardest sub ive ever had to cut a hole for..

its a PURE sq sub.. doesnt get very "loud" but verry detailed ( something like 50mm xmax)..

and they use "split coil technology" 90% of guys out there consider it a fail compared to the 05 xxx.

i made the box 2.4 cubes after the huuuge displacement of the woofer port etc.. and tuned it to 30hz

hes got a soundstream dtr3400 @ 4ohms..and becasue the suspension is so soft even at 4 ohms it throws it around reeal good.. and id say a solid 139 140db in his trunk

Thanks for the input man, I appreciate it. Yea the size looks pretty crazy. Somthing like 14" deep? Also a 11.5 cutout hole which is pretty massive!

I have read also it is fail compared to older RE lines when the XXX was XBL2 series before the company sold out.

I heard one of the best boxes is just under 3 cubes sealed for sound quality, also alot of people go bigger then recomended for ported to get great performance.

All just things i heard here/there tho, anyone else want to chime in with some personal experiance with this thing?

this is the only xxx ive had to make a box for or hear.because nobody can afford them lol..

re audio website says sealed or ported..i couldnt see putting a woofer like that with THAT MUCH xmax in a sealed box..

so we went ported and it fucking KILLS the low lows ( 25hz and below) ..

i went .2 of a cube over "optimal ported spec" and it does just fine..

i think if you went too big it would unload wayy to easily and destroy itsself ( ive seen some dude say they like 5 cubes for a 12) crazy

Just a video of my lately test, got myself this 12" RE Audio XXX dual 2 ohm in a 2.8 cubic foot enclosure after displacment of driver/ports. The woofer is wired to a crunch gp3000dpro @ 1 ohm with gains set low. The woofer wants alot more power but need to work on some electrical in the car before I turn up the levels to where they should be set safetly.

The setup was good for 143.4 @ 34hz on the low power its taking. I got some cool levitating money bill tricks in the drivers window & a little bit of flex footage as well. This woofer doesnt hit the high bass notes very well but the low notes hit absurd loud for a single 12". Should be exciting once I get the electrical up to par & really unleash some fury on the woofer. It is just begging for more juice from the amplifier!

Hey, that's my cash! :) Nice setup. I, too, wondered about how they sound in person. Seems like not many people own XXX series (or maybe it's just me.) I really dig the looks of subwoofer and it gives it own "beefy"-looks to it.

The sub when plotted on a graph compared to others in a similar price range ($500-700) prove to be very efficient with low power, the 1w 1m reading was like 7db higher than anything else in the price range, while having a much better frequency response than anything else. much more than any other I put it up against, but when you graph 1000w on all of them, the 1000w 1m reading was like 12db lower than everything else. and the frequency response fell off quick compared to the others at a very high volume. A very interesting test. Its like a car geared for quarter mile runs racing a car with an extremely high top speed, the quarter mile car will be quicker in the beginning but eventually the top speed will win it over. Definitely an amazing sub though. The low wattage performance was higher than anything else even in half the size of an enclosure. As getlocivic said, and amazing SQ sub.

XS-power1.jpg