Sundown Audio

High Efficiency Amplifiers

mrd6

Wouldnt any amp thats underated seem more efficient?

no. efficiency is measured by how much power is sucked from the electrical system, and comparing it to how much power is outputted from the amp.

edit: so a 100w amp thats 80% efficient would hypothetically draw 125w in order to output 100w.

Edited by Kranny

precisely what Kranny said. So sundown rates at 86% efficiency at 4 ohms but at 100Hz, skar is 85% at 4 ohms no frequency given. DD rates 87% with no load range or frequency so they are all around the same it would seem.

Does anyone know of some tests anywhere comparing these numbers? The closest thing i can think of is Fecupe's 1500 watt challenge thread. There the DDs seem pretty beastly creating more power for voltage drop than the other but no sundown or skar were measured in that test.

Team NorthWestSPL

honestly bro i'd just get what you like and upgrade your electrical if it doesnt put out what you want.

lol thats the easy way out bro! I'm tryin to learn somethign new haha. But yeah i assumed it would come down to that. She wants to compete in idbl rookie trunk class for the time being which is limited to stock alt and one battery in stock location so electrical is what it is at this point, efficiency is the name of the game.

Now to find a DD dealer and compare some prices i guess...

Edited by mrd6

Team NorthWestSPL

honestly bro i'd just get what you like and upgrade your electrical if it doesnt put out what you want.

lol thats the easy way out bro! I'm tryin to learn somethign new haha. But yeah i assumed it would come down to that. She wants to compete in idbl rookie trunk class for the time being which is limited to stock alt and one battery in stock location so electrical is what it is at this point, efficiency is the name of the game.

gothcha its for competition. Do you HW then man! and go to events and see what the winners are running. I saw alot of american bass stuff and DD in the db drags and DC

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

doesnt dd rate their amps at lower than 14.4v? Im not sure on the exact number but i thought they rated at 12.5v??

04 dodge dakota ext cab 4x4

excessive amperage 300 amp alt with MONSTER stud =)sundown z v3 15 in a 4th order on aq2200sundown 100.4 2 way active...2 Prv audio 6mb200 & 2 re XXX tweetersdeka intimidatorkenwood x396big 3 1/0 knu wire back to deka intimidator

gothcha its for competition. Do you HW then man! and go to events and see what the winners are running. I saw alot of american bass stuff and DD in the db drags and DC

for sure, the hunt continues! had forgotten about ab actually

doesnt dd rate their amps at lower than 14.4v? Im not sure on the exact number but i thought they rated at 12.5v??

12 flat according to the website

Team NorthWestSPL