Second Skin Audio

Sub Woofer and Box

Im trying to decide between the Alpine Type R 12 and the Jl Audio W3v3 12.

Which one would be better paired with the Alpine MRP-M500 Amp?

Also which box should i get? I prefer ported.

Should i buy a box or attempt to build my own? Which one would be cheaper to do?

Thanks

Don't know much about the jls but type rs love ported boxes my buddy used to have em and they slapped with his box for them. I've heard the jls sound incredible though

Yea the JL's can hit pretty damn hard. My friend has the alpine amp and JL W3 in a ported box and it sounds hella good.

I really would like to hear in person how the type r's hit because youtube does them no justice.

I'll say hearing a type r pound in the drive through at McDonald's when I was like 14 or 15 was what got me started. It pounds I haven't heard the w3 but I am sure you'll be happy with either the only thing you need to nail 100% is the box if you get a good box anything can slap.

Jls are pretty good two I think on this one you will just have research on all the specs and look at witch subs better fit you install. For instance you get a lower impedance and little more cone area with jlw3 how ever I do believe the alpines type rs have more excursion even at low volume due to the hamr surround. I Also think alpines have a better ventalated moter but I'm not positive as I've not worked with jlw3s. A side by side comparison and sound test is definitely in order.

personally, i havent heard w3's in a long time, and from what i remember, they hit prett well and did it clearly.

however, the type R's which im so-so about them, also can rumble pretty well.

but if your going to be using an mrp-m500 i would just keep the brand names matched up and go with the type R's.

'08 Chevy Cobalt coupe 2.2 base model trunk build:

2 9512iSC flatwound alum 1.5 coils

-extra 9500 spider pack

-8" platinum carbon dustcaps

1 DD Z1 (.375ohm nominally daily)

3g31 AGM

320a Ohio Gen alt

1 DD S4 4 channel

4 VO-M8v1's (holes cut for 3rd pair)

2 CS 6.5's

2 VO-B1's

Sony XAV-601BT

all Knu Krystal RCA's

Cadence 7band EQ

148.3db @ 32hz (burp)

148.4 @ 37 & 38hz (burp)

146.xdb 90sec average (center windshield)