Sonic Electronix

I don't see how it can be illegal to wall off a car. You think you can see squat through a quad-cab 8ft bed pickup truck (with topper) with your rearview mirror? Think again. I don't see how this is any different.

Because trucks, vans and SUVs fall into a different category than cars in some states. Here we can tint any window from the B-pillar back as dark as you want in a truck/van/SUV simply because some cargo vans don't even have windows. For cars you can't go darker than 35% no matter what.

With that said its obvious that some states would see it as illegal due to the fact that you're in a passenger car are obstructing the rear view. Yes we have side mirrors, No cops won't care if it's in violation

Must be your local laws, they lump them together here apparently. Here's all it says, straight from the statutes:

(1) No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon a highway unless such vehicle is equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the operator a view of the roadway for a distance of 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

Seems pretty open ended eh?

EDIT: Nevermind after further reading... (1) All motor vehicles originally manufactured with an inside mounted rearview mirror and all homemade and reconstructed motor vehicles registered after January 1, 1975, shall be equipped with an inside mounted rearview mirror. All motor vehicles originally manufactured with a left outside rearview mirror and all homemade and reconstructed motor vehicles registered after January 1, 1975, shall be equipped with a left outside rearview mirror.

2015 Subaru Outback. That is all, I refuse to touch it.

Archived